Thread: CMP needs to standardize service rifle reticle types

CMP needs to standardize service rifle reticle types

I am thinking about buying a "CMP approved" scope to make a second attempt and final attempt at service rifle. The basic parameters are clear cut...4.5X max power, 32 mm max objective. Pretty simple and easy up to that point.

Then I go start shopping for a scope. Its fairly easy to find a low power scope that fits the above CMP rules. With one exception...the reticle types. There are a gazillion types out there on these low power scopes. And worse, one of the major better quality scope manufacturer, Leupold, I cannot find a non cloudy pic of their HPR-1 reticle anywhere on the Internet for anything.

My impression is Leupold is not serious about low power rifle scopes, their website is sh*t as far as information goes. Hard to navigate, how can I take them seriously? Leupold to me is focused on hunting scopes. Need a good hunting scope thats waterproof with really good glass to go on your bolt rifle or lever rifle to hunt deer? Buy a Leupold scope you cant go wrong. But throw in reticle types, reliable target knobs and so on and Leupold...hahaha.

Spent an hour looking at their "reticle types." Leupold has more reticle types than I can shake a stick at. What do you need so many reticle types as Leupold has????? WHY? All it does is complicate something that should be pretty simple. I know its a free country and all but ever heard of the saying when things get overly complicated, people start quitting out of excedrin headache syndrome???

Nightforce by contrast, their website is premo. They have TWO TYPES of reticles for CMP approved service rifle scopes and only two. And there are plenty of pics of both types on the net. Their website is professional. Leupold's website is oriented for deer hunters, its obvious Leupold is not serious about attracting service rifle shooters.

CMP needs to go further. They need to standardize reticle types allowed for service rifle scopes. Its ridiculous the choice of reticle types.

I say, because its a target scope essentially and not a TRUE combat scope like an ACOG, CMP should limit reticle type choices to three or four, maybe five types max. First, a simple fine crosshair possibly with a fiber optic dot at the center. Second, the German #4 reticle is the true and classic combat scope reticle...I think it should be one of the official accepted reticles with the option of an illuminated dot at the bullseye to contrast with the black bullseye. Third, a battery operated scope with a simple illuminated dot for 200 bullseye, with bullet drop compensator BDC hash marks below the verticle with each hash mark representing 300, 400, 500 and 600. Fourth, any reticle used in Army and Marines infantry ACOGs should be acceptable but only if you choose an ACOG for your scope.

I repeat, there is NO NEED for so many choices for reticle types.

Finally, I wish the German optics company STEINER would manufacture a service rifle scope with good target knobs, good glass and a simple reticle that works. I like German made stuff and already have two pairs of Steiner premium binoculars, including a low light model (8X56). Steiner is da bomb for optics. The Germans cut thru all the crap and they dont do things halfway.
    Last edited by MrTwistedFock; 11-27-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum

It's an outrage!