Thread: AR15 home gunsmithing

AR15 home gunsmithing

I had found these really cool sights for my Colt Sporter(AR15) but they would not work with my current set up. They need to mount on the same plane as all sights do. My front gas block was too low.

At first I took the cheap way out and got an adapter rail. I really did not like the way it turned out. Just did not look clean.

The correct thing to do was to buy a raised gas block. After screwing other projects up in the past I was not about to take a wrench to my barrel, but the way the set up looked kept haunting me. I watched some brownell how to videos and decided to go for it. I bought the gas block I needed plus some tools. Always key to have the right tools.
    I just took my time and it was a snap. Someone showing me how to do something is always best for me.

I know a lot of you guys eat and breath this level (and beyond) of gunsmithing for breakfast, but I thought others like me can see you always don't have to send it out for someone else to work on. Now I want to build an AR upper from the ground up.

The all important upper receiver jig.

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

Interesting setup. Is it tough to adjust for windage and elevation? That's why I went with a fixed carry handle on my M4, to avoid sight issues. I've got a red dot mounted on the carry handle, and can still use iron, if need be.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

The cool things about these sights is that they function exactly like A2 sights. 100 yd zero was not a problem.
    I thought the same as you but I didn't like the BUIS out there because you had to remove the scope to use them.
    With these it's just a tilt of the rifle. So cool I just had to have them. Not cheap though. He would probably sell a bunch more if he could get them to come in at $200 or less. I asked about blems, but no dice.

http://dueckdefense.com/
    Last edited by sandsnow; 07-09-2011 at 08:46 PM.

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller