Thread: WTB - M1 Carbine ‘Underfolder’ Stock

Cadet

WTB - M1 Carbine ‘Underfolder’ Stock

I’m looking for an underfolder style stock for my truck M1 Carbine. I think Cadmus marketed one years ago.The standard USGI style paratrooper folder doesn’t work well for me. I have cartoon sized hands and can only get a couple, maybe three fingers on the pistol grip. The rod mounted on the bottom pivot of the pistol grip gets in the way. I don’t need anything pristine, just useable. Thanks

The now out of business Federal Ordnance had an underfolder stock for the M1 carbine. They made them for the Ruger Mini-14/30 and 10/22's as well.

Cadet
    Thank you for the information. The nylon M4 style handle would work well, I would think. I’ll start looking for one of those.

Junior Cadet
    I have one but Fed Ord most often inletted them for the Universal Carbine. So if you're looking for one for the USGI it will be a tough row to hoe.

I have both types, one meant for wood grip, one meant for plastic(have the plastic grip) grip. One meant for wood. It is sanded rough(bought it as the rats flee'd from Hialeigha).

I also have a Patty Hurst stock that Inland used. The pullback stock(it doesn't fold, it collapses) does not stay stable, I don't know how to fix it.

This is the best and easiest way to get an underfolder:
    I can show you a place where you can buy the underfolder assembly for $45, shipping will depend on your location(I am not affiliated with the company and price may have changed). The assembly is meant for a Romany WASR, so it is stronger than the ones that were done in wood by Fed Ord, Nat Ord, Golden State. You get a wooden USGI stock, mark the grip section for your fingers, if you can put some chalk on your hand that you grip strongest with(ie: you a righty or lefty) then mark the grip section with the chalk and let go. Wash hands. Go to the back of the stock where the recoil block and screw are, go back there and it is 14mm hole if I remember correctly. That allows you to put in the trunion from your underfolder. Cut the back of the shoulder portion off with a bandsaw. Use a dremel or a router or shaper on your chalk marks, you've made your pistol grip. Where you bandsawed, sand it down, belt sander is quickest. At the 14mm hole you drilled, you will need to press in your rotating trunion. A spring and piece of machined bar stock go in, and then where the trunion is pressed in, you place your folder there on the machined bar stock, one side is threaded(left as best I remember) and you'll need a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the screw down. You now have a folder, you don't have to worry about aftermarket inletting, and it is stronger than what either Choate or Cadmus or Fed/Nat/GSA used- they used surplus MP-40 and MP-## stuff meant for shooting 9mm. The shoulder portion that is pressured on your shoulder is a weak point. I can take a picture and show you what I mean. I used to carry one with a Fed Ord underfolder on my Harley, stash it in the safe when we got where we were going. The WASR unit is as easy to install and stronger.

If I can be of further help, let me know.