Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian Garand Issue (maybe)

Angry Italian Garand Issue (maybe)

I just got an "Italian" Garand. Basically it's a .308 Garand, shorter wood, .308 barrel. The person I got it from had a new barrel installed. While at the "gunsmith's" the new barrel was reamed for 30-06, by accident, mistake, stupidity (?) Anyway the deed is done, what do I do now ? I have a new .308 barrel I can have installed (this time by a competent gunsmith) or is it safe to shoot 30-06 in it as it is now or will there be cycling or other problems ?

Thanks, Trying to make a silk purse out of this thing. If more info is needed, I'll check things out when I get home.
    There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever.

My understanding is there is a 'ring' left in the chamber when this is done... bad 'gunsmiths' are everywhere!

Eli

War Room Ready
    My first question would be is the headspace correct for 30-06? And then barrel profile (I'm looking at a 30-06 barrel vs a .308 barrel here, and there doesn't seem to be enough difference in the taper that the .388" difference in the two cartridge shoulder depths would encroach into any required thickness surrounding the chamber- pressures being close at 58 vs 60)
    I am not a gunsmith, but I do subscribe to those famous redneck last words...... "Hey y'all, WATCH THIS!"
    The other one I like is.... "Hey, HOLD MY BEER!"

Maybe Mr Shufflin has tested an old .308 rechambered in 30-06 ???????
    Last edited by Bob W; 02-19-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Bob,

I'll have to check the headspace. This is what the previous owner said (He hasn't fired it because of the ream job.)

The only thing I wasn't 100% sure about was the bore. I pretty sure the Italian 7.62X51 barrels were chrome lined. the guy that reamed it out said it was a pain to do. The thing I wondered about was if the chrome would flake after being fired because it had been chipped away.
    I wasn't real happy with the guy that installed it. I think he used the old barrel to model it off of. The throat erosion is probably a 4 or 5.....I think that's how worn the old one was.

So............Â… I'll probably use both phrases at once and add "what's the worst could happen?" and see how it turns out, Darwin Award ?

All seriousness aside, I will probably just re-barrel it, unless I'm 100% sure it's safe.
    There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever.

War Room Ready
    Hey Eli- Would the "ring" you're talking about be the difference between the .4539" case diameter at the shoulder of the .308 and the taper to the .4413" same dim of the 30-06? Would'nt the 30-06 cartridge case then expand when fired? Both start at .471" at the rim, but the .308 drops over 1.55", where the 30-06 drops over1.95" to the smaller dia. I guess that's a pretty good difference in taper, no?
    Last edited by Bob W; 02-19-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Italian barrels are plain high-grade steel.
    The 'ring' is in the middle of the chamber, and will cause extraction issues. It may be visible.
    How drunk was the 'gunsmith' to not realize his '06 chamber reamer was 1/2" from home?

Eli

War Room Ready
    Pretty drunk- That's what I was asking about the headspace- if the bolt would even close (.4 diff). So even if the chamber was deep enough it makes sense that the brass swelling .0126 in an uneven taper would hang up.

I guess I do not understand. Do you all know what it would take to ream a .308 to a 30/06 with a pull through finish reamer? I think I’d be reaming for 20 to 40 minutes. Doesn’t sound like a mistake. .308 is roughly .010 wider in diameter then 30/06 so, as Eli said, you’ll get a ringed case. New barrel time because nobody knows squat about the specs of the chamber that was done.

The ring will not cause extraction issues. I once reamed a 30/06 barrel with a .308 reamer and did about .3” in before I realized it. I got the ring, stopped, got right reamer, finished, shot it, cool rings on cases, scrapped. Technically, if shooting new brass, it would have been fine. I shot it a bunch as my barrel.

Your baby now !

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I guess I do not understand. Do you all know what it would take to ream a .308 to a 30/06 with a pull through finish reamer? I think I’d be reaming for 20 to 40 minutes. Doesn’t sound like a mistake. .308 is roughly .010 wider in diameter then 30/06 so, as Eli said, you’ll get a ringed case. New barrel time because nobody knows squat about the specs of the chamber that was done.
    If you're willing, I'll pack it up along with a new .308 barrel and the stripped bolt and have you do the barrel swap.

Sounds like the safest way to go.