Thread: If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it

Cadet

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it

I was firing my Garand single shot today and the temp was around 32F. The first 3 rounds worked fine and after that they wouldn't fit in the chamber. My first thought was that I'd forgotten to fully size these cases but it seemed odd that 3 consecutive rounds were fine and then 7 consecutive rounds stuck and could not be chambered. I suppose they might have gone in with some pressure but might have not ejected properly. So I get the gun home and it warms to room temp and just for fun before I resize these rounds I try one and it slides right in. It seems that the cold must have shrank the chamber enough so the rounds would not fit. This is odd since I thought the Garand was used successfully in Korea at much less than 32F. Maybe the force of the bolt shoves them in regardless of how cold it got?

Any thoughts?

You shouldn't single load unless you use a SLED and you always let the charging handle fly home when chambering. The M1 is a controlled feed meaning the cartridge should be fed from under the bolt so that the face of the cartridge slides into place. If you don't allow it to work as designed you risk an out of battery if you have a high primer.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 03-17-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Probably had something fouling the chamber that fell out on your way home. I highly doubt there were any thermal dynamics at play.
    !

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    You shouldn't single load unless you use a SLED and you always let the charging handle fly home when chambering. The M1 is a controlled feed meaning the cartridge should be fed from under the bolt so that the face of the cartridge slides into place. If you don't allow it to work as designed you risk an out of battery if you have a high primer.
    I am careful to check the primers for that very reason but mistakes happen. Where can I learn about controlled feed, seems it might be useful to know.

We'll see if this works
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau