Thread: Optic Mounting Options

Optic Mounting Options

The esteemed Mr. Shufflin built a Mini-G for me several years ago. At the time, I opted to go old-school...no ultimak rail, just irons. The old peepers are starting to struggle with hitting anything out past 200 yards, so I'm looking for opinions from folks that have optics on their Mini-Gs. What do you have? Pros/cons? My options, as I see them...

1. Ultimak with a LER scope. Is it even possible to go back and add the Ultimak at this point?
    2. CASM mount. Understood that I need a Holbrook device. Is it possible to load the rifle with a full en bloc after manually ejecting an empty clip?
    3. M1D mount. Would I need a new barrel for that?
    4. M1C mount. Any opinion on which is a better or more viable option (D vs C)?

I'm sure I am missing other options. In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to put a standard eye relief scope, either offset or center-mounted, and still be able to use the en blocs. Not against the Ultimak at all, but I'm afraid I missed the boat. I should've had it done when the rifle was built. Or maybe gone with a mag-fed.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by HerkyBird; 04-12-2020 at 05:31 PM.

I vote for choice #2
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I vote for choice #2
    I know the Holbrook will keep the en bloc from automatically ejecting when it's empty. Can you manually eject and reload with a full enbloc, or do you have to load one round at a time into an already-inserted en bloc?

One round at a time with the mount in place.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    From what I recall putting an ultimak on a mini-g requires a little fitting, so best bet would be to send it back to Mr. Shufflin for the install. Once this is done you can mount an LER or another type of optic. I have an aimpoint micro t-1 on mine, & with a QD mount (not the kind used for AR's) I have a co-witness with my irons.

An M1D would require a barrel that's been modified to accept the mount. I believe Mr. Shufflin also performs this work, so you could use the barrel that's already on it.

On another rifle I had Griffin & Howe install their M1C mount & rings. I believe it came to almost $800, though this was half a decade back so not sure what their current pricing is.

With the M1D you're stuck with a 7/8" scope, unless you can find someone to make a custom 1" ring. M1C from G&H has 1" rings, though I hear there are inserts to use them with 7/8" scopes.

With the M1C (& possibly the M1D as well) you're going to be limited in reticle selection. The turret for elevation on most scopes hangs over the action of the Garand which interferes with clip insertion & ejection. My solution was to use a Burris Droptine scope with a mildot reticle that I turned on its side so no turrets extend over the bolt. I wanted a range finding reticle but a very simple crosshair or possibly duplex would work, as long as you can turn the scope on its side if the turret interferes with feeding.

I prefer the M1C set-up simply because it attaches to the receiver, so replacing a barrel is just replacing a barrel. With the M1d once that barrel is shot out then you have to get the replacement barrel modified to take the mount. Either set up can be solid, & if barrel replacement isn't a concern (i.e. you don't plan on shooting a lot) then the only real practical difference is cost of set up (I believe M1D's are slightly less spendy) & if you're cool with 7/8" scopes or want 1" tubes.

Another option is switching out the front sight. A couple folks make Garand/M1A sights with tritium inserts. These help cause you have a little green vertical strip to help keep the front sight from washing out on the target. Masking tape on 1/3 of each side of the front sight would enable a fingernail polish stripe to be added - won't help in the dark but provides that same contrast to the front sight in the daytime. Fiber optic front sights are available as well. There's also a globe front sight available for the Garand/M1A. Inserts let you switch out what the front sight shape is, from straight posts to tapered posts to circles, & those may help your eyes a bit. Also there are inserts for a national match hooded rear sight that can help magnify the front sight or target depending on what your eyes need. I haven't tried those but heard good things about them.

Cadet
    A member here modifies the 7/8” mount to accept 1” scopes. I now have two of them, both use Weaver K series scopes with post and crosshairs reticles. Perhaps he will weigh in. If not, PM me and I’ll give you his contact info. Don