Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New oprod springs, myopic

Now we have this Clemenza guy, who may or may not be the owner of Orion 7, saying that the Orion 7 spring should be cleaned with WD40. I would think the owner of Orion 7 might know this, yes?

Look for yourself;
    Yesterday, 04:09 PM
    Clemenza
    Participant

Orion Springs are NOT heavier
    They are made to perfect USGI print. If your rifle does not function with one of these quality springs....I would look elsewhere for the problem.,,,usually just at spec or slightly below op piston diameters and or gas cylinder inner diameters at the first 2" of the tube.

Squeeky springs are usually the result from dry inner op tubes. Some springs have a coating from the manufacturer which is easlily removed with WD40.

Close to 70K of these springs have been sold and well known for their quality. For a rifle refinisher to blame one of our springs as the problem is quite Myopic. I just wanted to clear this up before the rumors and bad press starts as it happens so easily on the forums. Clemenza

Now lapriester is chiming in that you don't do what the possible Orion 7 owner says to do, get the "coating" off with WD40, that would be wrong. He also says that he bets the oprod won't pass the tilt test! Again, that would be wrong. I don't just send rifles back that don't pass tilt tests. You don't stay in business very long when a rifle comes to you passing the tilt test and leaves not passing it. Any customer of mine would know this, I think?

lapriester
    CMP Customer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax
    I will try the WD-40 trick,...probably a 10-10 type oil or something.

They are great springs, I was not at all implying anything but to the noise.

"Squeeky springs are caused by no grease on the spring. You need to use a liberal amount of grease on the spring. Enough so it doesn't make noise when it's inserted. If you are applying only oil it will always squeek and it's life will be shortened.

The function problem is no doubt a product of the repark. Give the rifle a few hundred rounds fired and I'll wager the problem will self correct when the wear surfaces lose that rough parkerized finish. It's very common that a recently refinished Garand fails to function. In it's present state I would guess it probably won't pass a tilt test either until it's had adequate break in.

Larry"

Jus tlike many other CMP threads, they are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Had he tried a different O7 spring? Out of the 70k that Tony says are out there there is probably at least one bad one. Did the user try a different op-rod or gas cylinder? I only skimmed the thread but I didn't see that there was enough done by this guy to make a true diagnosis.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTUS View Post
    I guess we need to find out.........

Bill-Were you referring to Tony or me?

"I just didn't care for the tone, why be a jackass when it isn't necessary?"
    Jeff, I've clarified my post and also sent you a PM. My comments were directed towards Tony, I was agreeing with Jeff. Those who know me know that if I have something negative to say to any regular member of this forum I'll do personally using the phone or PM. This doesn't mean that all isn't fair in the War Room!
    Last edited by paid4c4; 07-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Founding Member
    Ok, so we're supposed to clean the spring w/WD40 so they work correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
    Ok, so we're supposed to clean the spring w/WD40 so they work correctly?

I think that Clemenza is saying that the Orion spring will be quieter if that is done.

To be clear, most any gun that has ever come to me will run on an Orion 7 or Wolff oprod spring if using HXP or any other "good" ammo. The problem comes when using LC. As a business, I do my level best to make sure that rifles coming to me will run on ANY ammo the customer may use. LC is a common surplus ammo amongst my customers. This means that I make an effort to have rifles run on the stuff. If a rifle is in spec, although at the bottom of spec, a new oprod spring of ANY manufacturer can cause short cycling with LC.

FROM CMP FORUM:

dogboysdad: Why is it that the owner of a "top quality vendor for the CMP" posts under the alias "Clemenza"? Still pretending to be "Fat Pete", Tony? Maybe you should "leave the gun and take the cannoli" on this one.

I can't figure out why the owner of a company that puts out a "proven quality product" would feel the need to call Tim Sufflin "Myopic" or refer to him as an unqualified armorer. You then go on to infer that he is not knowledgeable and less than a top shelf rifle rebuilder simply because he replaced the op rod spring in the OP's rifle with a GI spring? You don't know what Shufflin did or why he did it. Shufflin never posted here and he never said anything negative about your springs.

Let your product speak for itself. Defending it in this manner is truly not effective. Nobody bashed your spring, Tony. Shufflin certainly never did. Have another cannoli and back off. You are only making yourself look like a tool.

ERIC, YOU'RE MY HERO FOR TODAY...........

When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Awesome..
    I wonder how bad the fallout will be after THAT post?? Anything that even hints at less than 120% satisfaction with a CMP product or CMP supplier is met with venom. Regardless of how legitimate the gripe may be. I lurk often, but post very little over there. I don't need all the drama.
    I also prefer to buy locally or build my own Garands so that I know exactly what goes in them. That seems to be frowned upon as well over there.
    But hey, I do put Orion 7 springs in all of them. And I love them like I have loved no other spring before. Nothing else compares to them. Blah, blah, etc., etc., etc.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I thought the seller was a little harsh to the guy, who may of had a badly worded question and comment about them. I also thought it was in poor taste for Clemenza to attack anyone.

I have not used many of O7 springs, due to the squeaky sounds coming from them.

LAP? Yeah...no telling that guy he is EVER wrong.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 07-10-2011 at 08:08 PM.

I've still never had a Canoli. I now know what a "Clemenza" is.