Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 incher???

5 incher???

Anyone have a line on the rare 5 inch comp? Really hoping to find one so I don’t have to get my brother to make one...
    Q: What is best in life?
    A: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

I think you can mod one out of a tri-comp. I'm not so sure that there was a 5" comp. Eli or Mike Baker should know.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Reese Surplus and a time machine! I'm not sure they were ever an issue item.

Eli

Reese had two types of 5 inch comps. One had a bayonet lug for the 10 inch modified M1 Garand bayonet that had the ring modified to fit the comp. This comps' diameter was such to fit 22mm rifle grenades. The second one had no bayonet lug and the diameter was reduced so 22mm grenades could not be launched. I have 1 of each type. They are not for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Reese had two types of 5 inch comps. One had a bayonet lug for the 10 inch modified M1 Garand bayonet that had the ring modified to fit the comp. This comps' diameter was such to fit 22mm rifle grenades. The second one had no bayonet lug and the diameter was reduced so 22mm grenades could not be launched. I have 1 of each type. They are not for sale.

I’d love to see pictures of the two. I’m having one made from an existing tricomp. It’d be nice to see what the Reese varieties looked like.
    A: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

They are legit Beretta BM59 early comps. There are photos in the Beretta BM59 catalogs. Give me your email address and I'll send photos when I get a chance.

Here is one from Reese. They say Beretta but it looks a little rough to me.

When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post

Dang! Wish I could find one for that price, lol.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post

Oh man Stu....You tease! That's old Reese ad has got to go back ten years or so.

Was calling Colleen every other week to see how many they could find and would take them all. Reese has some great items and pricing on some of the stuff was very attractive.

But at that time interest in the BM59's was just starting to rise and if I remember correctly....might be off a year or two...Tim was starting to mod receivers.

At this point the game has changed big time. What the world needs is 10,000 stripped M1 receivers dumped into the market at a $350. each price point. Less would be better but $350. would get the parts market moving again.

EDIT TO ADD COMMENT----When you look at that ad Stu posted Reese was getting an extra $10 for a break that was modified to fit a standard M1 gas cylinder. At the time Reese offered the 5 inch breaks and tri-comps there was no drop down gas cylinders floating around to put them on. There were BM62 and BM69 rifles of course but not many of those around that owners wanted to make changes to. Drop down gas cylinders and tricomps did not start showing up until later when the Italians started sending ITAL parts to the scrap yards. The previous copy cat BM59's out of California all had standard M1 gas cylinders.

So by the time thousands of BM59 kits hit the market about 3 years ago the Reese inventory was long gone. Plenty of tri-comps of course. Very few of the para detachable comps ever came in. And I still wonder about if the 5 inch breaks from Reese were actually Italian.

Timing is everything.

Happy 4th of July!
    Last edited by ordmm; 07-02-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Junior Cadet
    Yes the 5-inch comps. are original Beretta as pictured in Reese's ad.They pre-dated the tri-comps. and were standard issue on early BM59's in Italian service.They are pictured in Arms of the World in the Italian rifle section.They are scarce and not to be confused with the shorter detachable tri-comp. also offered by Reese surplus.Of note the very few(some say only four imported) semi BM59's on modified US M1 Garand receivers imported had these 5-inch tri-comps. installed,mills41.