Hey guys,

I'm building a tanker-style Garand in 30-06 with a straight BM59 op-rod. I want it to be able to fire Garand-spec loads as well as modern/heavy/commercial/hunting ammo. Ideally I'd like to be able to switch ammunition without having to fiddle with my gas system. I will have to size my gas port for the lower-port pressure ammo to ensure reliability.

Will the higher-port pressure loads require the use of an adjustable gas plug? My thinking is that since the BM59 op-rod is straight, it is unlikely to bend because it doesn't have the failure points that the M1 op-rod does. Being shorter probably helps as well.

It would help me if I knew where M1 op-rods tend to bend when they get damaged from firing heavy commercial ammo. If it's at the rear where it hits the receiver, or the bar where it extends rearward to the bolt, I'm probably SOL. If it's along the tubular shaft, then I expect that it won't be an issue with the straight op-rod.

If you guys think the higher port pressure will be an issue, then I might try milling some vent ports in the gas cylinder like the AK's gas tube has. The idea would be to bleed off some of the excess pressure instead of having to change the settings on an adjustable plug.

I could also try a high-volume gas plug, but I have to learn more about how those work to decide whether they'd prevent issues.

Thanks in advance!