First post after 8 years of lurking. I'm just about where I'm ready to pull the trigger on one or the other. Now that the last of my kids is finishing college... I know the true and correct answer is always "Both" but bank account says it has to be one or the other right now. Maybe both some day...

I've wanted a BM62 for years and am sort of stuck on the idea. However, a BM14 has it's appeal too and I've been working on myself that its actually the more practical of the two.

Hoping you more experienced folks might be able to help guide me. Point out some things I'm missing. How do the two compare in overall and barel length?

BM62 Pros:
  • It's got collector value and would be worth more down the road.
  • C&R Eligiable
  • Mags are widely available for not too much money.

BM62 Cons:
  • More expensive because it's got collector value.
  • Being used and mostly only availabale via auction there's a rishk of paying top dollar for a basket case.
  • Parts availability. Seems to fluctuate and can be expensive.
  • Being a more collector type rifle I might feel like maybe I shouldn't shoot it as often as maybe I'd like.

Mag Fed Mini-G Pros:
  • Custom built however i'd like up to what my wallet will allow.
  • Shuff's work is georgous!
  • Adjustable gas cylinder.
  • Mags are plentiful and very cheap.
  • Garand parts are available all over at less of a premium than Berreta parts.
  • Wouldn't be shy about shooting the snot out of it.
  • Basically a newly manufactured rifle.

Mag Fed Mini-G Cons
  • Current price of Garands makes for an expensive donor.
  • Being the reason one less Garand exists in the world.
  • Resale value down the road? I'm questionable on that one. Anyone that knows Shuff's work knows what it's worth. Not really a concern here?

Thanks!