Thread: Make up my mind: Berreta BM62 or Shuff’s BM14 Garand

Make up my mind: Berreta BM62 or Shuff’s BM14 Garand

First post after 8 years of lurking. I'm just about where I'm ready to pull the trigger on one or the other. Now that the last of my kids is finishing college... I know the true and correct answer is always "Both" but bank account says it has to be one or the other right now. Maybe both some day...

I've wanted a BM62 for years and am sort of stuck on the idea. However, a BM14 has it's appeal too and I've been working on myself that its actually the more practical of the two.

Hoping you more experienced folks might be able to help guide me. Point out some things I'm missing. How do the two compare in overall and barel length?

BM62 Pros:
    • It's got collector value and would be worth more down the road.
    • C&R Eligiable
    • Mags are widely available for not too much money.

BM62 Cons:
    • More expensive because it's got collector value.
    • Being used and mostly only availabale via auction there's a rishk of paying top dollar for a basket case.
    • Parts availability. Seems to fluctuate and can be expensive.
    • Being a more collector type rifle I might feel like maybe I shouldn't shoot it as often as maybe I'd like.

Mag Fed Mini-G Pros:
    • Custom built however i'd like up to what my wallet will allow.
    • Shuff's work is georgous!
    • Adjustable gas cylinder.
    • Mags are plentiful and very cheap.
    • Garand parts are available all over at less of a premium than Berreta parts.
    • Wouldn't be shy about shooting the snot out of it.
    • Basically a newly manufactured rifle.

Mag Fed Mini-G Cons
    • Current price of Garands makes for an expensive donor.
    • Being the reason one less Garand exists in the world.
    • Resale value down the road? I'm questionable on that one. Anyone that knows Shuff's work knows what it's worth. Not really a concern here?

Thanks!

Junior Cadet

BM62 or mag fed MiniG?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    First post after 8 years of lurking. I'm just about where I'm ready to pull the trigger on one or the other. Now that the last of my kids is finishing college... I know the true and correct answer is always "Both" but bank account says it has to be one or the other right now. Maybe both some day...

I've wanted a BM62 for years and am sort of stuck on the idea. However, a BM14 has it's appeal too and I've been working on myself that its actually the more practical of the two.

Hoping you more experienced folks might be able to help guide me. Point out some things I'm missing. How do the two compare in overall and barel length?

BM62 Pros:
    • It's got collector value and would be worth more down the road.
    • C&R Eligiable
    • Mags are widely available for not too much money.

BM62 Cons:
    • More expensive because it's got collector value.
    • Being used and mostly only availabale via auction there's a rishk of paying top dollar for a basket case.
    • Parts availability. Seems to fluctuate and can be expensive.
    • Being a more collector type rifle I might feel like maybe I shouldn't shoot it as often as maybe I'd like.

Mag Fed Mini-G Pros:
    • Custom built however i'd like up to what my wallet will allow.
    • Shuff's work is georgous!
    • Adjustable gas cylinder.
    • Mags are plentiful and very cheap.
    • Garand parts are available all over at less of a premium than Berreta parts.
    • Wouldn't be shy about shooting the snot out of it.
    • Basically a newly manufactured rifle.

Mag Fed Mini-G Cons
    • Current price of Garands makes for an expensive donor.
    • Being the reason one less Garand exists in the world.
    • Resale value down the road? I'm questionable on that one. Anyone that knows Shuff's work knows what it's worth. Not really a concern here?

Thanks!
    What is your priority? A collectable or a shooter?
    Looks to me like you want a shooter. So go with the mag fed Mini G!
    Besides atleast the Mini G will run right out the box. The Beretta maybe yes maybe no, Lol!

You can have him build a BM59/62 that uses M14 magazines, if you'd prefer. You're looking at an original Beretta BM62?
    Parts kit: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1572160
    Barrels (out of stock again): https://www.sarcoinc.com/bm59-new-ital-barrels/
    Tim can do the rest. Whay do you want?

Eli

The 62 and the 69 are strange rifles. They were built to the importer's specs and from what I heard there was a lot of brawling as the importers didn't get things built exactly as specified. Anyway, both models were built to not look "scary". Strangely the 62 has a stripper clip guide but no provision for a bipod. The 69 has the bipod cut but no stripper clip. I would think that no stripper clip guide and no bipod cut would be the least scary but whatever.
    Also keep in mind that the most 62/69 type rifles were built on welded garand receivers with garand gas cylinders, so watch out for those.
    A nice original 62 or 69 will end up costing around 3 grand.
    So, you can try to find an original or you can have Tim build you one. I have a 69 clone built by Tim and an mag fed. Both function perfectly. I think the M14 mag fed will give you the most bang for your buck if you're going to use it. Also, Standard Parts has about every spare part you would ever need at very reasonable prices.

The M14 fed is on the bottom.

When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    The Shuff's BM14-----Still a great commercial..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjTOHFbQLg

Thanks for the input. Punch The Clown realy appreciate the picture, seeing them side by side helps alot. Am looking at (for) a Berben Import original Beretta BM62, price is too high on the one I've found locally though. In that respect the BM14 edges ahead in bang fo the buck for sure.