Thread: silver solder

Junior Cadet

silver solder

I've seen many references regarding using silver solder to attach parts to receivers and barrels. In the Garand/BM59 realm this usually refers to adding a stripper clip guide. I don't particularly want to add a stripper clip guide to my BM59, but I'm just curious. Does this method of attaching parts affect the heat treatment or hardness of a Garand receiver? Are particular solders or methods used to bypass this problem?

Thanks-- D.

Absolutely it does but where does it? The area affected will not be vital to operation. I personally own a rifle silver soldered with a SC guide and it is well done. I prefer TIG though, such a pinpoint heat application.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks for the reply. I saw a guy on Youtube (always questionable) heating the heck out of the front end of a handgun receiver to solder on a couple of rails, and I thought "what the Hell is he doing?" Anyway, it's nothing I'm itching to try with anything I own, although it does has its applications in the firearm world.

With the high temp/high silver content silver solder and silver braze(like Remington uses to attach their shotgun magazine tubes, you're putting alot of heat down to get it to flow. Like Tim said where the stripper clip is located isn't a critical spot and you could get away with using Hi-Force 44 solder from Brownells which flows at 475. But again like Tim stated, TIG is the way to go... And it's actually faster

Junior Cadet
    Parga-- Thanks for the info and for keeping an eye on this thread. If an application comes along where I need to solder or tig something, I'll take your and Tim's advice and go with tig. D.