Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garand Receivers (where did they all go????)

Junior Cadet

Garand Receivers (where did they all go????)

Been looking for 2 m1 receivers fo a while now to finish up a couple projects i have. Any ideas guys

I haven't seen any for sale since before the scamdemic. Maybe now that the gun shows are starting up again some more will be available.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Everything has gone crazy. I've actually gotten in to Galils - which historically have been expensive - because they still only cost about a grand to build. Wait until the coming hyperinflation takes hold!

Eli

CMP stopped selling them a few years ago and has made it clear that they will never be selling stripped receivers again, only complete rifles. The influx of cheap BM59 kits in the last 6 or 7 years sucked up all the loose garand receivers that were sitting around.

Current market price for a decent stripped receiver is only about $100-150 less than a CMP rack grade. buying a receiver makes no sense anyway
    [SIGPIC]

Only place I know to get them is gunbroker.

War Room Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Everything has gone crazy. I've actually gotten in to Galils - which historically have been expensive - because they still only cost about a grand to build. Wait until the coming hyperinflation takes hold!

Eli
    Hey Eli- You do a Galatz yet? How accurate?

Nah, was looking to get in to the Galils mainly because it's a Jewish AK. Reality has set in a bit, though, and although $350 for a parts kit and $350 for an 80% receiver isn't too bad the fact that the cheapest barrels are $300 and the wait list is months is maddening. Then there's the cost of 5.56, which is right up there with 7.62 NATO.
    So, I decided to build in 7.62X39. The Galil, after all, is just an AK - right?
    The problem there is barrels are even more expensive - custom only, and over $400 - so you end up with over $1100 invested in an AK that weighs a ton. Ammo is only 30 cents per round, though!
    I'm to the point now that AKMs - with a $100 receiver, $600 parts kit, and $200 cold-hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel, and 2 pounds lighter - are starting to look extremely attractive again.
    ARs are out because I don't like them, and my son is left-handed.
    I should have a build finished soon, I'll post pictures when it's done.

Eli

Junior Cadet
    Been damn near impossible to find anything that approaches reasonable....ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen S Palano View Post
    Been damn near impossible to find anything that approaches reasonable....ugh
    anything under $400 is considered a good deal for a stripped receiver. Anything under $300 is probably a welded or rusted piece of scrap
    [SIGPIC]

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    anything under $400 is considered a good deal for a stripped receiver. Anything under $300 is probably a welded or rusted piece of scrap
    And over a year later, the situation has not gotten any better. I saw where Fulton Armory is supposed to be releasing their M-14 receiver. I wonder if A) they are any good, and B) if they are/would consider doing an M1 Garand receiver? At this point, there does seem to be a growing demand for a well-made one, if the others have dried up to this point.