Thread: "Iranian" surplus 30.06 question

"Iranian" surplus 30.06 question

Has anyone here purchased and used any of the surplus M2/30.06 that is marketed as former Iranian ammo?
    I see it listed on a number of mail order sites, and I'm curious how well it works in Garands. The reviews I have seen online mention 1968 headstamps, so it's about the same age as the XMP from Greece.
    Since it has been illegal for a U.S. company to deal directly with Iran for more than 30 years, this stuff had to have been sitting somewhere else for a long time.

Anyhow, I'm not the least bit interested in getting the standard "just buy from CMP" party line, so I posted my question here. If you have used it, lemme know how it worked for you.

Thanks,
    Kurt
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Not a clue on this one bro. What's the price point? I may buy some and let you know exactly what I think of it if it's cheap. I test fire every Garand I work on and cheap ammo is always on my mind.

Samco Global

55.9 cents per round in 200 - 400 - 1000 rd lots

No quantity discount

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

Not my kind of price.

Me neither.

shipping is on top of that

CMP still the source for me

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

Price does seem to be a major stumbling block. And the fact it is berdan primed, so reloaders aren't interested. I see lots of posts making a big deal about the declaration that it is Iranian, but few guys seem to have shot any of it.
    I'm still sitting a several cans of FN stamped 30.06 that I bought back in the 90's as well as a can of Korean surplus. I'll probably just stock up on some XHP while it's available.
    I own a bunch of guns, but that doesn't translate into a lot of range time any more. Ammo tends to spend a lot of time in the cans at my place. I miss the good old days of blasting through a new can in one afternoon, and needing 7.62 by the case. BUT, the economy and ammo import restrictions have made that little more than a fond memory for me.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Patriot
    I have had encounters with Iranian ammo and it sucked. Bought some 9mm,06 and 308 and quality control appears to be missing from their language and it shows in the ammo. In several cases the holes for the primer were not present and the primer blew off when we tried to fire it. Oh well it was just for plinking anyway. The Rio Grande has been further polluted.
    Mix

Well OK then. That is most definately a thumbs down revieiw!!
    That's the kind of first hand knowledge I'm looking for. Thanks!!!

Patriot
    I would not want to see any one further polluting that fine river but it seemed the best place to dispose of that POS as they use it as a sewer anyway. QC was the major issue.
    Mix