Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inherited this from my dad... HELP!

Junior Cadet
    Thank you. Yeah it's 7.62 nato also. It has multiple bm 59 parts and others. It does appear to be done professionally and everything is meticulous. It shoots wonderful. No markings, no sir

Junior Cadet
    First, my condolences on the passing of your father.

The rifle is a much modified USGI M1 Garand rifle that has been modified using Italian BM59 parts to accept USGI M14 magazine.
    Presumable it is chambered in 7.62 NATO (.308).

If it works reliably, have fun with it!

Condolences on losing your dad. That's a rough year of adjustment.

That top rail and full length picatinny is kind of interesting. Who made that?
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Cadet
    I remember when I was a much younger fool, late 1950s- early 60s, when everyone (including MY Dad) wanted an M14, which was the latest hotness, except there weren't any-- only the .Gov was making them for their own use. This led to the emergence of a whole flock of cottage-industry gunsmiths who would do the mods as shown on your rifle: shorten and rechamber the barrel and alter the floorplate to take M14 mags. The result, at the time, was usually called an M7-1/2. Some are better than others, since there were very damn few M14 parts around to scavenge. Fortunately for us things have changed. I say, get someone to check the headspace (or do it yourself) and then shoot the doors off it. Looks to be a solid piece of work.

ETA: Hi, guys, I'm back-- actually never left, just haven't had a lot to say--

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Condolences on your loss. That's a great inheritance, I'm sure you will treasure it.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)