Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMP M1 Carbines

That's what bugs me, Gunner. I wasn't around to see prices like that, that I remember anyway. I imagine inflation plays a large part in prices now too. Hell, I thought my Dad was batshit crazy, for paying $400 for a nice, honest-to-God Colt Car-15, around 20 years ago. Now look what they go for!
    "Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Patriot
    Four or so years ago, i purchased two mail order CMP carbines and have no complaints. They are mixmasters and show the their history. Less costly and better looking rifles are available, but they are not USGI carbines from WWII. With no more on the CMP horizon, prices will remain at historical highs for a while. I don't buy any of my firearms for investment, I buy for pleasure, so while I am cost sensitive, I may pay a little more for the enjoyment.

Patriot
    I purchased 3 rockolas, and 1 of each of the others , missed on the quality hardware. I did not change anything on them and was happy with most all. My first saginaw was not so nice and I paid 479 i think so I sold it for 550 and ordered another and it was nice. I never got in to them and recently decided to dump them. I have been listing them on cmp for about 150.00 more than I paid and sell in minuets. So guess I am pretty happy knowing I would get my money back , The buyers aare very please and quickly contact looking for more. Over all I would say they were nice.

Senior Member captain_bob_badfish's Avatar
    No complaints from me, even though my Rockola came to me without a rear site peep.

I can't complain about my (once upon a time BlueSky) Irwin Pedersen. It's all correct, including a "new" Underwood 2/43 barrel, except that dad-gum adjustable rear sight. But hey, I'm in it for less than $200 so I can't complain too much.
    Jon
    IP and Liam-2

Quote Originally Posted by captain_bob_badfish View Post
    No complaints from me, even though my Rockola came to me without a rear site peep.

If you didn't already do it just change the aperture as there is a little danger removing the sight base.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    I've got a real nice Bavarian and a not as nice S'G' RG. I was thinking of having Mr. Shufflin do his thing with the S'G' but have decided to keep it as it is. I don't feel bad about either of them. In fact seeing the crap at gun shows makes me real happy I got what I did.
    Fred

I have picked up 4 carbines and a barreled receiver from CMP. All were great but not the number one collector condition. My only disappointment was the stocks on all of them were not very good. Mechanically all are excellaNT JUST don't have that look.
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I bought over 20 carbines.the good part is the CMP didn't pull the good parts out(as they do on Garands)And I made some pretty nice carbines,
    Kept 3, A winchester 1st month production 10/42.A Rockola. Needs a Rockola trigger to be correct,and an IBM correct.
    I have never fired any of these,Haven't even seen them in a while,Time to dig out of the safe and oil them down,I guess.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by M1orNone View Post
    I know I'll probably catch hell for this, but....

I'd love to get a carbine some day. I like them a lot. Having said that, I can't seem to understand why they command the some of the prices that they do. I could see an all-original WW2 carbine going for quite a bit, but not some beater that's built out of parts from eight different makers, that looks like it was dragged down a pothole-riddled asphalt road for twelve miles. I just can't see it.

Am I wrong? Am I just being a cheap bastard, or am I thinking along the right lines?
    Yeah, the prices are on the high side but they follow the rule of supply and demand. If the current regime would allow the re-importation of lend/lease Garands and Carbines from the ROK, the prices will drop rapidly.
    It boils down to a get-it-now or a wait-and-see situation.
    Prices will vary by make, of course with USGI commanding the premium, condition, and geographic location. Probability of finding an all 'original' is slim with most being built to resemble original. In reality, however, the little shooter is still a good bargain for the most part. BUT it is a caveat emptor scenerio.