Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMP M1 Carbines

Back in '88 or '89, I worked at a True Value Harware store (remember we're in Oklahoma) and we sold a few guns and some ammo. We received a load of Carbines, maybe 50 or so and they sold for $79.99. I didn't really know what they were at that time and had like no intrest in "mil surp" rifles. So I really can't tell you what shape make or model they were. I just know I've kicked myself repeatedly ever since for not snagging half a dozen or so of them! Guys knew what they were because they didn't last but a couple of weeks and we never received any more! Thomas
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

My only Mail Order Carbine was a Winchester Service Grade and was a disappointment. But the two I hand picked at the CMP North Store were major scores.

Well done MH53gunner!
    I got 3 mail order & 1 picked out at north store & was very pleased with
    all of them The one I picked out at NS is my "shooter" & needed
    a new & taller sight, common problem. I have shot them all, no safe queens
    Tom

I am still looking forward towards the possible importation of the carbines from Korea. What I won't like will be the high prices since there is no competition from the CMP. Companies like Century will be raping the collecting community.

Last weekend while at a gunshow in Dale City Va I came across a guy that was selling a nice looking Saginaw Gear that dated from 43 with matching barrel. The guy had $650 on it. I was not looking for a carbine since the prices have been 800 and over. The guy seemed to be not willing to tell me anything other that it was a good deal. I ended up passing.

One other guy was trying to clip someone telling him that the Winny he was looking at was correct. His asking price was 1,200. The stock was Winny, the butt plate was Inland the recoil plate was not W marked the rear sight was a replacement Inland and the front sight also was not winny. The dealers wife came over and asked if she could help. When I told her that the rifle was not correct, she turned red as a beet and mumbled something to her husband.
    We had a very nice discussion...LOL. I handed him a club business card and told him to learn something about carbines. I guess he will not be sending me a Xmas card this year, nor will he become a club member.... The best part was when the customer handed them back the rifle and offered him 700 bucks....FN priceless.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

Good job gunner. I hate liars

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

Patriot
    I bought a Rockola, BAVARIAN AND A iNLAND,i already had a winchester, i kept the bavarian, it's just to nice/correct. to sell i kept the winchester, traded the nearly correct Rockola for one of the nice Greek airforce H&RS-SG all correct and 600 rds of HXP, sold the sg inland to a friend, the carbines just dont have the attraction for me that the Garands do

Heres my CMP Mail Order Underwood. I dont have her anymore as I needed the cash and the pea shooters just dont do much for me

"I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Why am I disappointed? The CMP Garands were conservatively graded. All of mine were as good or better than described. The carbines: aside from the Bavarians they should have had this disclaimer: "with rare exceptions the stocks are rough/unserviceable and need to be replaced."

it was funny that I found more Rack Grade carbines that were better than the SG carbines.

I tried on several occasions to grab one of the Rockola carbines but never scored. Now since I am retired looks like I am SOL. Guess I have to get a second job or sell the wife.

I keep waiting on someone to sell a IP for CMP prices.... Yeah one can only dream.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mike9905 View Post
    Why am I disappointed? The CMP Garands were conservatively graded. All of mine were as good or better than described. The carbines: aside from the Bavarians they should have had this disclaimer: "with rare exceptions the stocks are rough/unserviceable and need to be replaced."

Remember Orest due to health reasons sent the carbines stock and all through the big dishwasher. Bat droppings can be hazardous to your health. I wish they had of just made you sign a statement and they shipped the carbines in a sealed plastic bag. Many a good stock was trashed. Those carbine stocks were more rough that a corn cob left to dry.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!