Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steel-cased ammo

steel-cased ammo

I'd like to hear your experiences with steel cased ammo, especially with black rifles. I've never used the stuff, figured it would be hard on ejectors,extractors, ect. Are my assumptions wrong?
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

I have used it but it is dirty and not very accurate. A buddy of mine has fired thousands of rds of it and never broke a extractor
    You can still get good brass cased ammo for around $300.00 per 1000rd
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I've shot a bit of it, not terribly accurate, dirty, but it goes bang. what can I say, I'm cheap...

War Room Ready
    just clean your chamber if you use the stuff with the laquer coating on it. I use it all the time, and never had a problem that cleaning my rifle wouldn't fix. it isn't that accurate, but will work for killing pigs at 200 yards.

The new stuff with the polymer coating runs fine through my mini-14 as far as accuracy its minute of human stuff. Ive run over 2k of the polymer wolf and wear is normal on the extractor. It is dirty but it does what i need it to.
    Mack

I've thought about getting some just to use as oh shit ammo, because it's cheap, but I've always been a little leery, worrying about the lacquer melting in a hot chamber and making a bad situation even worse.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Wolf stopped using lacquer coating years ago, its coated with something else now.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    I use it mainly because it is cheap. No function problems and accurate enough for or good as I shoot now (without a scope) I don't find it much dirtier than the GI surplus but then I've been saving the GI because it is re loadable.

I use it for the go bang times. For self defense I use proven major brand stuff. I like the steel case for the cost and I don't worry about saving the brass. I doesn't hurt if I loose a couple. So far it has worked well in all that I have used it. AR, SKS, Many 9mm, and hell I am even looking for some 45acp if I can find it.
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Junior Cadet
    Right now AIM has brass cased PMC 55 gr FMJ for $279.50 a thousand.