Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know anything about the 1917?

The 17 is a much better battle rifle than the 03. The sights on the 03 are really only good on a range while the 17's are good for battle in the trenches.
    Mack

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    I have a all Eddystone 1917. It was one of those VFW turn in's the CMP was selling a couple years ago. I really do not like the looks of it, I bought it because that day at the NS it was the best looking rifle in the racks and I could not leave empty handed. Anyway, the rifle is a POS. The barrel has been neglected, has shot a lot of blanks and all that. It shoots about 5 Minutes-of-Barn, so it't not accuarte either. I'm also not a big fan of the cock-on-closing way the bolt works.

I'm not sure why I have it.

Anyone have a nice 03A3 for sale?
    PM me if you are serious.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Quote Originally Posted by dogboysdad View Post
    PM me if you are serious.
    I take it you didnt get the rifle I was talking about in the begining of this post??
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

From a guy that works on them, I hate them. I find them to be a giant piece of #$!&. The assembly and disassembly, serious takedown is what I'm talking about, is a joke. The looks of the rifle are terrible, they feel terrible in my hand, there's absolutely nothing sexy about them. I'd take an 03 any day over the 17 just because I find it far simpler.

So how do you really feel Tim????
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    So how do you really feel Tim????

Great unless I'm talking about or looking at a 1917.

I agree, they are the ugly duckling

Cadet
    I picked up a sporter winnie on sunday. With a weaver k scope and a new barrel for 300.

1917's tend to be as or more accurate than 1903's, easier to sight due to the rear peep being close to the eye ,cheaper than 1903's and yes not very attractive. but beauty is as beauty does. I picked one up the last time cmp had them (early 2009 -a gift to myself on return from Afghanistan) and this one has only a fair bore and doesn't shoot well. my brother has one with an excellent bore and he can get groups out of it out to 200 yards that rival his winchester model 70 national match. You do have to look for cracks in the reciever ring if they are a ww2 rebarrel.