Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First AR15 Bottom Build

First AR15 Bottom Build

I built my first AR15 bottom yesterday. I had a pretty good "How To" booklet with pictures. Not difficult at all. There are a lot of little springs which look a lot alike and some pins which are similar. Overall it's pretty simple. The parts for the most part are smaller than an M1 Garand but not difficult, I'd say on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most difficult it was about a 4. Next build will be easier. I'll post pictures once I add the upper and butt stock. The upper will either be a .22 or a .308.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

After the first one its much easier.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Yup, I've done two and the 2nd went much faster than the first. However, Bill, since you didn't post pics yet, it didn't happen and you're full of it, upper or not.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

a standard ar-15 lower is NOT compatible with 308 winchester- you'd need an AR-10 lower for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
    a standard ar-15 lower is NOT compatible with 308 winchester- you'd need an AR-10 lower for that.
    Major, I appreciate the heads up. What's your opinion of this add:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR3021-1.html
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

+1 on the lowers being a snap.

Now I want to build an upper from scratch. I'm looking to do a 20 or 24 inch bull barrel.

Since it's not a run and gun type rifle, I'm going with an upper without forward assist or dust cover.

Now I need to decide on a barrel without breaking the bank.

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

Founding Member
    Ar's are fun to bulid. When i was diagnosed with luekmia 3 years ago. My sweet wife bought me 2 ar lowers which i built when i felt good. very fun but. They kindy have cheap interal parts compared to the m1 garand. peace toolman

On a side note: Check out model1sales.com they have some great upper combos on the sight shipped straight to your living room door. shaw barrels i believe usa made.
    Last edited by toolman; 07-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.

As funds allow I want to build a M16A1. I got an upper and a barrel. That's a start.
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Cal30M1 View Post
    As funds allow I want to build a M16A1. I got an upper and a barrel. That's a start.
    I think I got rid of all my M16 Retro parts, I'll have to look
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    I got a whole rifle of Orlando's M16 retro parts!!