Thread: small optics for mini-g

small optics for mini-g

wondering if it would be practical to consider any of the really small optics (insight mrds, trijicon rmr, burris fastfire etc) on a mini G?
    did see the pic of someone running an aimpoint micro but thinking even smalled and lighter if it could work.

I have been doing a lot of research lately on this very idea and I have decided to go wtih a FastFire 2 with the protective wing mount as a back up to a scout scope. 4 MOA dot is still small enough for a bit of distance. Battery life is exceptable. I don't believe it wil co-witness with the Irons on a Ultimak like a 30mm type Aimpoint or Micro's. Trijicon rmr has more options and would be nice if you have the cash. I have found that it is easier to find info on forums about optics that work on the Mini-g by researching the M1A Socom 16 with a Ultimak Scout mount.

I'm thinking of experimenting with developing a scope mount for red dots (since eye relief is not a critical issue) that would put the mount between the front sight and the end of the gas cylinder (kinda sorta a barrel sleeve with rails) that would probably work in the mini g configuration but would put the glass very far away from the eye on a full length m-1. I'm thinking if it could be affixed to the gas cylinder without touching the barrel to minimize the chance of impact shift as the gun heats up it might be workable.

With a red dot that far out though I wouldn't use an Aimpoint or Eotech. Too much weight out front and the field of view wouldn't be much. In fact I just tried looking through my Aimpoint that far out and you have to get the Rifle pretty straight to even see the dot. Might be a hot ticket for close work using a Fastfire 2 or RMR/doctor sight.