Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistols?

AR Pistols?

I've been thinking about building an AR15 pistol. My understanding of BATF and NFA is that a tax stamp isn't required for a short barrel as long as it's on pistol and not a rifle.
    Further the rifle has to be built on a receiver which as never been a rifle or registered as a rifle. Any Comments? Anybody with an AR15 pistol?
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Founding Member
    That's correct. You need a virgin receiver (does not have to be marked "pistol"). Whatever you build first is what the receiver will be forever. A pistol receiver can be used in a rifle build but a rifle receiver cannot be used as a pistol unless you have the tax stamp.

Since the buffer spring and tube are part of the operation of the AR it is legal to have a rifle length buffer spring tube sticking out if the back... I have a cane tip on the end of mine and padding on the tube for comfort.

Are you going the pistol caliber route or rifle? Mine is a Colt 9mm SMG upper on a Spikes Tactical lower. I'm on the way to shoot an IDPA match so pictures will be this afternoon. The only other thing I can tell you is that it's fun as hell to shoot!

Thanks for the response and information. I am working on a list of questions, any chance we could talk by phone? I've left a PM.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Founding Member
    To the best of my understanding from the guys at model1 sales cuppen is correct. Getting ready to bulid my .223 ar pistol. Have the reciever but no upper yet! peace toolman

Founding Member
    Bill,

I'll give you a shout either tonight or tomorrow. I'm pretty wiped out from shooting the pistol match in 100+ heat.

Founding Member
    Picture as promised.

Bill will call you after dinner.

I think a rifle buffer has to be modded to not be able to accept a stock.

They make stubby buffer assemblies for pistols too. AR15.com has a great section on what will run and what won't.
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal30M1 View Post
    I think a rifle buffer has to be modded to not be able to accept a stock.
    When I built it the information at the time said not necessary to mod the buffer tube. The idea behind the mod was/is to prove you wouldn't put a stock on a SBR "upper". The theory was if you had 10 stocks laying around and a pistol lower the Feds could say you had the intent make an NFA item and they will charge you. I don't have extra stocks around and the only other lower I currently have is stripped.

I personally think it's a little tin-foil type mentality because multiple AR's will allow the same possibility to swap uppers and poof, you have an unregistered SBR. No one has suggested perm attaching the upper to a lower with the front take-down pin (or whatever you call it).

Of course there may be a requirement to do that now because I have not checked on the rules since building mine.

Just speaking from memory and my memory sucks Cup.

I'll have to check again.

I was eyeing a pistol buffer and tube set up on GB. It was only 4 or 5 inches long. Would look great on a pistol platform.
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Founding Member
    I wasn't trying to imply you were the tin-foil. I hope I didn't come across that way. My apologies if it did.