Thread: trp mainspring ils replacement

Cadet

trp mainspring ils replacement

i purchased an ed brown maxi well main spring housing and all the brown internals for the housing on my stainless trp.problem is the hammer is very tight to get it to lock back.everyone out ther said to use a 23# spring on a trp because of the Ti firing pin.so i put in an 18# spring and it felt fairly normal but probibly not enough poundage.any suggestions???

Have you shot it yet??
    If not, you're saying it's difficult to cock the hammer with your thumb? Or by racking the slide?
    "everyone out ther said to use a 23# spring on a trp because of the Ti firing pin" Where is this from, and why do they suggest it? I don't see what the firing pin would have to do with anything....But I admit I don't know anything about trps.......

Cadet
    well they(the 1911 forums) tell me that because the ti firing pin is lighter than steel it needs a harder smack to get a good hit on the primer and also the firing pin has a spring implemented into it so if it gets dropped it has less potential to fire.it almost seems like the spring wants to bottom out before the sear gets a chance to engage.

all 1911's have a firing pin spring. the old saying some fitting may be required was based on the 1911! I tried to replace a mainspring housing on a 1911 and it would not even allow the hammer to fully cock afterward. you may need some fitting of the housing- I'd stick with a standard spring weight see if it shoots and how solid the firing pin indents in the empties are.