Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one built a 1911 from the ground up?

Any one built a 1911 from the ground up?

I've been thinking about building a 1911 from the ground up using frames/receivers from http://www.fosterind.com/. I'm told Foster owns Caspian. I think it would be a good learning process to build one from the ground up. Any ideas or comments?
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

For the price you can buy a NIB Rock Island.

For educational purposes I guess it would give you intimate knowledge but I'd rather go cheap and tear the Rocky down!
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Cal30M1 View Post
    For the price you can buy a NIB Rock Island.

For educational purposes I guess it would give you intimate knowledge but I'd rather go cheap and tear the Rocky down!
    Depending on the parts you choose, I suppose it's like any other pistol.......the parts will cost MORE than a manufactured pistol

Course, you're doing it for fun and experience, so price isn't the complete issue........My only concern would be to possibly having to invest in tools to fit some of the pieces......trigger/sear/hammer jig, and then mess with fitting the bushing(maybe) the thumb safety, etc......

MIXMASTER can tell you better what you're getting into.......he's done several......

Last edited by Orlando; 07-31-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    Paid4c4
    Yes you can build one and learn a lot but the days of good used/new,cheap GI parts is over. You can buy parts kits from SARCO that include the slide and frame. Generally the parts just go together with little or no problem,It's when they don't the fun begins. The 1911 is a really easy piece to trouble shoot as you assemble it.Also to keep the cost down you need to look at the Essex frame or even one of the RIA frames both run under a $100.00 and the parts kit about $150.00. The fun part is getting the frame and checking out the gun shows for the best parts you want.It is even possible to pick up a GI parts kit minus frame for around $150.00. And this is what makes it fun.You will not build a Kimber or a Colt but the fun factor is THERE. I have built many of them and still am tempted when I see a good used parts kit. Shuff parked one for me and it came out looking like a true trooper.You will not build a collector piece but the enjoyment is always there. I believe if you are already rebuilding M1s you should have the skills needed for the build and what the heck if needed I will e mail you my phone number and call it a build HOT LINE. Build and enjoy.
    Mix

Patriot
    Forgot to mention ,on a basic build you do not need any special tools That's where the knowledge of how the 1911 works or should work kicks in. For your first build go for the mil spec 45 build rather than something called a RACE GUN. That you can do with what you learned on your first build and save you some funds. Go to the market place like mom looking for the best goods and pinch all the tomatoes till you find the parts you want at a price you feel comfortable paying!
    Mix

Mix, thanks for the reply and "Hot Line Number" I already have the internals which I bought as a kit some time ago. I'll start looking for the frame/slide as I've decided to give it a try. It's not like I'm investing a fortune and half the fun is the learning experience. I'm sure I can find someone to parkerize it once completed.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Patriot
    Bill
    Stay away from the generic slides now being offered by SARCO & Numrich unless you feel the need to do some serious hand fitting. A Brazilian slide will work just fine and underneath all the markings you will find a Colt quality slide as they were made on machinery provided by Colt! I just checked GB and there are some reasonably priced slides both Brazilian and GI. SARCO at this time has a frame for $99.95 which makes an easy fit with most Colt or GI parts and can be upgraded when you are ready for that next step. You might also check with SARCO to see if they have any of the RIA slides for sale. These will work. On those package deals "slide and frame combo" the frames usually work just fine it's the generic slide that's the deal killer with me. I enjoy fitting the pieces together but I'm not that hard up for happiness!
    Mix
    Last edited by mixmaster; 07-31-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Founding Member
    I havent yet! I would love to!

I think the amount of hand fitting and tinkering involved makes it not worth the effort unless as some have mentioned it is an educational experience rather than one designed to save money.