Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something that you may want to know on a short cycling rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Shelleen View Post
    Now, will an M14 gas screw fit an M1? I don't have an M14 so I can't try.
    They are two completely different
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Oh well. Thanks. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

War Room Ready
    I've played with this on a few rifles over the years. It can make a change in accuracy, but not always. Guess it depends on the rifle. I have to wonder though, on a short stroker and then it works after moving the cylinder forward, did anyone check for gas hole alignment first? Also have read, but never attempted to verify, that a worn muzzle can cause short stroking if the gas system parts are marginal to start with. I would think the bore would have to be shotgun smooth before losing enough gas to effect operation, but ya never know.....
    I'm partial to the adjustable gas screw myself. Got them on my two shooters and once dialed in for the ammo being used the gun just "feels" better. The ones I have I got from Roland Beaver but since I got those there are now other folks selling them too. Right now they are set for HXP ammo as thats what I mostly shoot for basic range practice. I have used some 180gr soft points and can get the same "soft" feel with the adjustable screws. No need to beat up the guns anymore.

Hey Timmah? Will this work on a short stroking Mini-G? LMAO
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Cal30M1 View Post
    Hey Timmah? Will this work on a short stroking Mini-G? LMAO

Yep. If you are having a problem with a G though, why not let me fix it? Seriously though, nothing different on a G from a Garand.

Gus taught me that as long as the entire port is inside the Gas-Cylinder window operation is uneffected. I've done that to get the correct standoff with the rear of the Cylinder vs. the front handguard ferrule and, by and large, this is true. Now that I think about it, these rifles ran good with whatever I stuck in them to shoot, even some old, slowboat LC I had. Accuracy off a bench was always pertty close at that point, 2-3" at 100. Maybe there's something to that Tim.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    NRA,GCA,OGCA, USAF,Msgt.Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
    Gus taught me that as long as the entire port is inside the Gas-Cylinder window operation is uneffected. I've done that to get the correct standoff with the rear of the Cylinder vs. the front handguard ferrule and, by and large, this is true. Now that I think about it, these rifles ran good with whatever I stuck in them to shoot, even some old, slowboat LC I had. Accuracy off a bench was always pertty close at that point, 2-3" at 100. Maybe there's something to that Tim.

Oh there's something to it sir. I've had to many rifles short stroke on piddly LC only to purr like kittens when backing that lock off a turn.