Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping a Fiebing stained stock

Stripping a Fiebing stained stock

I've been thinking about refinishing one of my stocks that was stained with fiebing's leather dye. It also got coated with Kleenstrip BLO, which I later found out was crap. Will the standard degreasing method work, or should I try something else?
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

I'll just sit back and see how this plays out. I'm all ears/eyes.

So what is it you dont like, the color or just the BLO finish?
    Not sure what Kleenstrip BLO is but if it was my stock I would strip/clean it with Purple Power, let dry and see what you have left.
    Read my post in the "How To Section"
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I saw your how to post, Orlando. I'm not real happy with the color....too much red. I didn't know if the degreaser would cut the color any since its alcohol based....On the old forum someone had posted about how cruddy Kleenstrip BLO was. That was after I'd already put about 40 million coats of the crap on mine, and that was the first stock I ever finished..
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Hang on, great thing about a alcohol dye is you can apply it over BLO and it will penatrate.
    Now if you have 40 million coats I dont know if it will work.
    Try applying a dye over the BLO and see if you can get it the color you want.
    If not strip off the BLO and add more Fiebrings. No need to remove the stain that is there.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Thanks, I'll try it. S'posed to rain every day for the next 40 years, so I should have time.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

After and if you decide to strip of the BLO,give it a coat of alcohol stain.
    Apply a coat of BLO, if color isnt right add more stain over the BLO until you get it the shade you want. Then add additional coats of BLO
    Shuffmeister likes Fairtrimmers might ask him what he would do

War Room Ready
    I've used Fiebings for years and have sometimes gone "too far" with it. If needed I use acetone to clean it off, as well as for cleaning most of my stocks if I want to totally strip it(I don't own a dishwasher!). I've found that when I use acetone to wash off fiebings it will remove most of it but if it was applied directly to the dry unfinished wood then you will still have a slight darkening, no where near as much as the "finish" color but it will still have a slightly darker tint than bare walnut/birch. I've been happy with some that I've stripped of the fiebings, let it dry then just finish it the way it is. Of course you'll need to use all safety precautions when using acetone.

I too have used acetone, now I wasn't trying to completely strip the stock, just lighten the deep maroon color I had acheived by being somewhat overzealous with the Fiebings. It did what I wanted!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

Founding Member
    Get some Jasco Stripper and wear gloves and do not splash it on you as it will burn real fast. Hope this helps. Rick B