Just thought I would share some info on how you can rebuild rear sight elevation pinions "if" you can find the parts and have the tools. The drums are next to impossible to find and are the part that wears out . If the detent/tit is not sharp it will not engage the receiver serrations and will only hold elevation if overtightened and will be very hard or impossible to turn the knob .
These are a set of Danish Elevation assembly tools that was graciously given to me by a forum member and friend

Setting the pinion in the disassembly holder tool with the disassembly tool on top. A sharp tap with a hammer disassembles the pinion

This knocks out the cone shaped dog retainer which holds the assembly together

Next set the pinion in the assembly tool, and set a new dog retainer on top of the drum. Notice the notch on the tool, the detent/tit on the drum must set in the notch so you do not crack the drum

Set the assembly tool on top of the retainer and drum and give a sharp tap with hammer

The pinion is now assembled and good as new.
If anyone has any they want to sell or knows where I can find any good elevation drums please PM me
Thanks guys