Thread: My Italian TIPO-2 Garand is completed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Italian TIPO-2 Garand is completed

Hello Battle Tested Friends!

My much anticipated and "Ballyhooed" Italian Tipo-2 Garand rifle has just completed.

Now, I am sure, if I haven't, already, I will get "Booed" for having the heel of the Springfield receiver engraved with "7.62-2" and the "Cal. 30 M1"
    line scrubbed (Similar to original Tipo-2s that I have seen photos of).....and, No.....this isn't an attempt to de-fraud someone out of their money by
    trying to pass this off as an "original" rifle. My ethics does not allow for that sort of thing. I just wanted this to be an authentic "replica".

Anyway....the rifle is completed.

I read many posts from author, Mr. Jim Thompson, regarding the Tipo-2. He stated, emphatically, that ALL Tipo-2 rifles were rebuilds and that NONE
    ever left the armories in that original configuration. Therefore, there is NO documented configuration as to what type of parts might be in these rifles, as they all came from the field.

I had some parts left over from my BM59SL build from 2017. Those parts became the base for this Tipo-2 build. I also had a few left over parts from a Beretta Danish Contract rifle, that I am assembling, so I used a few of those.

Receiver: USGI Springfield M1 Garand receiver (Appr, June 1943).....Engraved by Accubeam Engraving of Sarasota, Fl.
    Barrel: SAIU 1967 in 7.62 Nato from Sarco, Inc. 23 1/2" in length. ME: 1.5 on CMP gage
    OP Rod: USGI Springfield with cut
    Bolt: Springfield -12 A-04<> (Extractor is left over PB marked)
    Rear sight: Mostly PB marked parts with USGI aperture.
    Follower/Side; Follower Arm; Op Rod Catch; Bullet guide are all USGI
    Clip Latch is PB marked
    7.62 magazine spacer installed. Metal. Italian made
    Gas Cylinder: USGI
    Gas Cylinder lock and screw are PB marked
    Trigger group is USGI mixed: -12 SA Housing; WRA Hammer and Guard; SA Safety
    Butt Plate: USGI
    Stock: NOS Tipo-2 Italian (Probably Terni) made and marked "MT" on right side of butt stock. Hand guards are NOS Italian Tipo-2 that were in the wrappers.

Have yet to fire this rifle, as I just completed it prior to this post.

Hope you enjoy. Photos here and next couple of posts.

102_0165.jpg102_0170.jpg102_0173.jpg102_0174.jpg102_0179.jpg
    Last edited by jason60chev; 10-29-2018 at 04:06 PM.