The replacement barrel on it was a Springfield 43 so I bet that was done while the rifle was still in service by a unit armorer after failing an inspection/gauge session probably in 1943 or early 44? I am no expert but that is how the army does it now. Every 6 months to a year the Battalion armorer and a few civilians come through and do a functions check/inspection then gauge. If it fails they replace the barrel. I can't imagine the process has changed much. Once again I am no expert but everything else on this rifle seems to be original WRA. It doesn't look like it has ever been refurbished in any way or upgraded to newer parts after the factory other than that barrel. You here stories of "unaccounted" for military property after WW2 and to lesser degree wars after that up until the last few where I can guarantee no one is taking home a M4. I am reluctant to think the Old timer that owned it all these years "acquired" it on his way out of the service because of the obvious folklore but I think its pretty obvious this baby did not see Korea. Is there any chance this was a CMP rifle? That doesn't seem likely either. Does anyone know of another way to get a hold of a Garand in the 40s or 50's other than through CMP? I need to call my Grandfather again but he was under the impression the original owner had it A LONG time.