Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Garand Receiver Wrench???

receiver wrench/levels

You can use a large Crescent wrench, with a pipe extension for more torque. However, never force a barrel on a receiver, as this will distort the chamber. You should have the barrel shoulder cut down on a lathe, but if this is not possible, you can file it, but be very careful to get it even. Sears sells ($38) a 7 inch digital torpedo level with a LED readout, which is accurate down to 1/10 of a degree. You will need a barrel timing gauge , available from Brounells inc, item #093-200-010AD, $71.50.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

I have the fixtures made by Badger (I think). They are pretty good. I have a couple 3' straight edges I use, then I also use a bubble level, then I also use an angle finder. Also, make sure you use the gas cylinder you intend to use on that rifle as some can be off a few degrees.

I used to not use any fancy tools and just eye-ball it or just use a bubble level on the front sight base and the back of the receiver. Then I ran into a rifle that no matter what I did it would need a few clicks right and have the front sight off to the left. So I bought the tools thinking I'd be able to see what was wrong and fix it. Well.... everything looked right. My only guess was that maybe the barrel splines were off a bit or the GC was off. In the end the rifle hammered, and was mine, so I left it alone.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    What type/brand levels does everyone use to index the barrel to receiver?
    Thanks guy
    I have the Sears Digital-the same one the Garand Guy uses. Works great. Did my FAL with it too.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau