Thread: What is the highest max TE?

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar

What is the highest max TE?

I know Military reject was at a 6 on TE gage,but what is the max throat erosion until a barrel is junk?I know that You can load longer rounds,but when does this become max from max OL restrictions?I've heard of Someone who was using a TE of 9 barrel with a decent ME that was shooting fairly well,so just curious.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

USMC doesn't measure ME. That said if it won't hold a zero, and can't shoot 4 moa, or beyond 6 TE the barrel goes.

So I would say whenever it won't hold the accuracy you wan't.

For DMR rifles it must hold 2moa.

Cadet
    I know a certain mostly retired veterinarian (probably many of you do too) who shoots an Dane that has a TE of around 9 that will still group well enough to score in the 280's

Every number is .001". That said, what's the big deal? You can easily load the rounds longer to max OAL and still have more TE to go. Hatcher said that he found free bore of .050 to shoot just fine.

I believe it is how even the wear is to the grooves more than it is the total amount of wear that determines accuarcy. If the bullet hits one land before the others it'll yaw a bit. That's my theroy. I have no data to back it up but it could explain how a barrel with a TE of 4 could outshoot a barrel with a TE of 2.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    I believe it is how even the wear is to the grooves more than it is the total amount of wear that determines accuarcy. If the bullet hits one land before the others it'll yaw a bit. That's my theroy. I have no data to back it up but it could explain how a barrel with a TE of 4 could outshoot a barrel with a TE of 2.
    I have know doubt you are correct. There is much to do about free bore though and, if the lands are even, Hatcher found that free bore of somewhere around .020 made the garand suffer but then accuracy came back around when it hit .050. If my numbers are wrong, my apologies, been a while since I read the notebook.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Thanks Fellas!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)