Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who counterbores barrels?

Ryan, the smith's use a pipe cutter fitted only with rollers to correct the shoulder on barrels that overclock. I would think a .301 spud in the barrel and using "The Tool" may re-shape the barrel. Just get your hand on a couple of pipe cutters and swap out the cutting wheel for a roller.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Ryan, the smith's use a pipe cutter fitted only with rollers to correct the shoulder on barrels that overclock. I would think a .301 spud in the barrel and using "The Tool" may re-shape the barrel. Just get your hand on a couple of pipe cutters and swap out the cutting wheel for a roller.
    I don't have access to one,other than a little hand held one to cut tubing....
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Seriously Ryan, what's a barrel like that worth? To me, about $2. You like tomatoes right? You can grow more than $2 worth of tomatoes on that barrel and baby Jesus will smile on you.

Yes, you could roll the barrel with "the tool" and then counterbore it but WHY? Barrels are cheap bro, I would rather have a barrel with some pitting then that barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Seriously Ryan, what's a barrel like that worth? To me, about $2. You like tomatoes right? You can grow more than $2 worth of tomatoes on that barrel and baby Jesus will smile on you.

Yes, you could roll the barrel with "the tool" and then counterbore it but WHY? Barrels are cheap bro, I would rather have a barrel with some pitting then that barrel.
    A barrel like that is worth a lot,but even $5 is a lot.To Me a 1945 barrel with a TE of 4,good exterior finish and a non chromed pad is stupendous,and I can't make Myself think that a bright bore is worthless,but You are right.I just try to salvage anything I can,and there will be no way I can buy a comparable barrel,and I need to finish this kit for My own sanity because My stinkin' pain is getting to be unbearable.I have been keeping busy rehabbing old parts,trading parts,and selling old stashed parts to get these projects done.I have a receiver coming for this date,but perhaps I could just use the 3/44 barrel.It has a Me of about 3,but the TE is 9!!!!!!

Sheesh,I'm starting to sound like a whiner/ liberal..must be because I'm out of pain pills and My body is on fire

PS,I hate Tomatos!!!!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I AM a machinist and I was going to suggest turning the bulge down on a lathe. DO NOT USE A DRILL PRESS TO COUNTER-BORE THE BARREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll eff it up and it will become FUBAR. The counter-bore MUST be done in a lathe with a 4-jaw independant chuck!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!! A 3-jaw chuck will have too much run-out. The bore MUST be indicated to run as true as possible. It IS possible to indicate a barrel to within 1-2 10,000ths. It just takes time and the proper equipment. Once you get it set up it only takes a matter of a few minutes to do the actual work. It's the set up that takes the time. Hell, I've run some jobs where it took longer to set the machine up to do the job than to actually run the job.
    I'd do it for you but we don't have a 4-jaw chuck on our engine lathe at work. That's also why I had to farm it out. I CAN do the work but I don't have access to the proper lathe chuck. Major bummer.
    Just my $.02
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 04-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!

[Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!]

Tim,
    Call me any thing you want----------------------------just don't call me late for supper.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!
    You just made Me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    [Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!]

Tim,
    Call me any thing you want----------------------------just don't call me late for supper.
    Jon
    You made Me smile too.