Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Last Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post
    Yeah, and that worked out real well for them in 1814 when the British captured and burned Washington D.C. The War of 1812 was a military catastrophe for the fledgling United States. We owe the French for assistance in that one.

Just because they were the "Founding Fathers", doesn't mean they got everything right.
    You're right, we can get rid of all the amendments, let's start with the first 8. If you throw out even one law they wrote, you dismiss it all.

What men of law do, if they disagree with the law, is amend the law.

The founders WERE PERFECT, they were so perfect that they knew stuff would come up. If we disagree with something they had in the Constitution, they set it up for us to change, legally! All we have to do is amend the Constitution by law. Of course, we can take the liberal, lazy, thieving, no good, sissy, way out and just circumvent the law. You know, like has been done for about the last 148 years.

Look Jimbo Slice, I happen to like a strong military, I really do Sir. If I don't see much in the way of a military threat though, I'm inclined to want my military spending cut. If that means that people lose their jobs, those who depend on military spending, so be it. It is NOT my responsibility to provide anyone with a job. As for breadlines, who said we should have breadlines? If people won't work, they should starve, not be fed by me or anyone else. Of course if the breadlines are privately funded, different story.

Nobody in the world can convince me that anyone else has a better need for my money than my family does. Anyone who would take my money for themselves can die a slow miserable death just for wanting to.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Anyone who would take my money for themselves can die a slow miserable death just for wanting to.
    I can agree with you on this point. Anybody that wants to steal my money for their own personal gain is wrong.

However, collecting taxes to build a strong national defense doesn't constitute theft for personal gain, in my opinion.

And don't worry, I was exaggerating a bit with the "bread line" comment, I never thought you'd take it literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post
    I can agree with you on this point. Anybody that wants to steal my money for their own personal gain is wrong.

However, collecting taxes to build a strong national defense doesn't constitute theft for personal gain, in my opinion.

And don't worry, I was exaggerating a bit with the "bread line" comment, I never thought you'd take it literally.
    On your point of taking stuff "literally", I don't know how to change that. I've been slammed for not taking things literally and for taking things literally. I'm about as bad as the next guy for not getting all the spirit of a message right through the written word.

On the defense issue, I agree with you in spirit Sir. This does not mean though that I don't believe there is a severe amount of cronyism when it comes to deciding what defense items need to exist. There are military bases across this country that are there for one reason, jobs. There are military projects across this country that exist for one reason, jobs. Cronyism in the military has no place any more then in the rest of the government. Taking my money for welfare or another pathetic reason is no different then taking it for a naval base in South Dakota.

The Cold War isn't over. We just had a 20 year cease fire. To let our military become second class would be a mistake.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    The Cold War isn't over. We just had a 20 year cease fire. To let our military become second class would be a mistake.

Our country will never find a conflict or police action that we don't want to be in so long as we fund the military with a bottomless pit of a budget.