Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gas Lock Timing Question

Quote Originally Posted by precision32 View Post
    "Even though I know of no hard and fast evidence or studies on fitting GC locks;"

Nothing is going to change the recoil impulse. The energy is going to work on the threads no matter what you do.

Jak, how do you prove that the wear you see is from the threads not being tight? How do you tell the wear from normal tolerance of the treads?
    I have seen worn barrel threads but have no way to prove how it happens nor do I care to. How many barrels have I seen that have threads with forward and aft movement? Not many at all, maybe 2% or so.

This being said, that is my 2% observation, the theory that a tight lock will help thread wear does make sense and here's why.

Energy = weight x Velocity squared. When you have a tight lock, that cannot allow the lock to move, you eliminate the velocity which forces the lock forward against the threads. You still have the weight portion of the formula but without the speed squared, the wear should be greatly reduced be theory.

Here is my .02 for what its worth, if you don't subscribe to the theory that anything the moves on the M1 should do so freely and return to its at rest position in the same manner. Anything that shouldn't move doesn't, makes a more accurate/repetable rifle than a timed GSL isn't for you. It was explained to me that If there is a gap between the barrel shoulder and the GCL the G/C now has some wiggle room under recoil and from the barrels harmonics, the only thing countering this is the barrel splines. The barrel splines will come loose again if only peened from a combination of shooting harmonics/recoil and G/C removal for cleanings. A GCL thats snug @ 6 allows for less wiggle room and offers more support for the peened splines. The peened splines stay tighter over a longer period of time, recoil there is nothing we can do to prevent that other than never shoot the rifle, The barrels harmonics the same but we can try to get the G/C and the barrel to dance closer to the same rate this also helps to take some pressure off the peened splines with less movement. I don't think timed GSL makes any M1 more accurate, it helps maintain its accuracy longevity over a longer duration.

The thread issue about recoil/harmonics wearing them out I don't know were that came from, I can see the threads wearing out from repeted removal from cleanings or trapped grit/crud from the field, but not from actual firing of the rifle. Like you guys I don't have a pile of GCL to try on my rifles. Niether was I willing to buy or drag my barreled action to every gun show in search of one that did. I was lucky that I had a friend that sent a pile of them for me too try out and hopfully one would work. I was lucky again one timed up and is on my rifle now, my future plans are to complete the NM mods and shoot it XTC.
    Last edited by Phil McGrath; 12-30-2012 at 01:44 AM.