Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMP Newsletter regarding M1 Garand sales to New York buyers

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    They decided the en-bloc is not a magazine, so it is not classified as an "assault weapon", otherwise they could not be brought into the state at all. Part of the "SAFE" law however requires that all transactions go through an FFL, so basically it's like a jersey deal. Back to back NICS checks. Makes a lot of sense.
    You can purchase and ship into state anything over 50 years old. exempt from transfer law but not registration I believe this answer was based on Subdivision 22 of section 265.000, chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, amended by the legislation/signed law. 22 (A) & (G) (VI) & (H) [any weapon defined in para (E) or (F) ... only transered outof state or to a dealer], basically exempts anything that is 50 years old from being classified as an assault weapon even with a detachable magazine but registration still required.

Another example of confusion and just my take on it and the phone conversation.

BTW I believe local visiting hours are Monday 1200-1500 and I prefer Winston but anything will do.
    Last edited by rlelvis; 01-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

Even if the enbloc is not currently put in class with a magazine, if you think it will be that way for long, you are insane.

Both the enbloc and a detachable magazine do, essentially, the same exact thing. And I don't want to hear anyone start in about the technical aspects of each. I am well aware of what constitutes the difference between the two. They didn't ban hi cap magazines because they have the follower and feed the actual rounds. They banned them for doing the exact same thing the enbloc does - allow the user to carry a bunch of rounds, throw a mag (or enbloc) into the rifle, squeeze off a bunch of rounds (in this case over 7), and repeat.

If they don't ban enblocs, then these things are even dumber than I give them credit for being
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    Even if the enbloc is not currently put in class with a magazine, if you think it will be that way for long, you are insane.

Both the enbloc and a detachable magazine do, essentially, the same exact thing. And I don't want to hear anyone start in about the technical aspects of each. I am well aware of what constitutes the difference between the two. They didn't ban hi cap magazines because they have the follower and feed the actual rounds. They banned them for doing the exact same thing the enbloc does - allow the user to carry a bunch of rounds, throw a mag (or enbloc) into the rifle, squeeze off a bunch of rounds (in this case over 7), and repeat.

If they don't ban enblocs, then these things are even dumber than I give them credit for being
    The whole thing was written so that they can twist everything to suit their purpose. A prime example of ambiguous!
    "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." Edmund Burke

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the firepower to make the difference."

Patriot
    Apparently this all about background checks and registering guns now, and nothing to do with the age of the gun or its feathures. Everyone buying a gun in New York State, whether it is from a dealer or a private sale, has to go through a background check. The only exception is transfer to immediate family members, which I' still not clear on with "assault weapons", since no assault weapons can be sold in New York State going forward, so I'm not even sure how you can transfer it to a family member. If you are a CCL holder, you must now update your information every 5 years with the New York State Police, even though Counties issue the CCL's and not the State Police. Again, creating more of a Statewide gun registration base.

I received a letter from my State Senator today, outlining the basic provisions of the new law. Some of it doesn't quite match with the State website. She also states that it does not appear that there will be any amendments to law that will benefit gun owners and no chance of repealing the law or parts of it. It appears that the only chance of removing this law is in Court, if there is any chance at all.