Thread: Garand Mag conversions? Details?

Founding Member

Garand Mag conversions? Details?

Okay, still looking at the details..from what I read here, there are several people whom have crossed the bridge and changed the way a USGI garand loads? I thought I read that the Bm-59 was the tougher one to do..and the priciest? Anyone? I know that years ago , I saw a bubba version with a BAR mag in it ? Tim does one with the M-14 mag for a feeder...How about a little feed-back, thanks in advance, hope I am not on too many 'Ignore' lists here..

The BM14 and 59 Tim built for me work flawlessly. Neither has ever failed to feed and the machine work is perfect. The BM59 is the more expensive route but both guns run great.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Tim did a BM59 and a BM14 for me as well. same - both are finely tuned machines.

M14 mags are a fraction the cost of BM59 mags and easier to find.

Side-by-side, there is very little difference between the two. I've got a couple receivers left that are likely to end up on Tim's mill. I'll probably do them both as BM14s with some different options and accessories. Either that or a BM14 and another Mini-G.

Funny, I used to have almost 100 standard garands. now the only ones I have are Shuff cut downs. LOL
    [SIGPIC]

War Room Ready
    Most practical, if you already have a Garand, is to hand it to Mr. Shufflin for a mag conversation.

Founding Member
    Must be nice to have so many Garands to choose from..I am having trouble finding the time to fire them now...MBH wants to move to a lakeside home..So she drags me around to the internet prospects and looking, I admit I would like to relocate..Yeap, I now realize that if I jump-$$- it will most likely be with Mr. Tim, I mean for the $$$-machine work on the rifle..
    Last edited by Old Guard; 11-07-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sp

Magazine conversions on the M1 are nothing new. I see them regularly at gun shows. The difference is that a lot-if not most of the earlier conversions relied on annealing the receivers, machining them, and then re-heat treating them. I wouldn't trust anything that has been re-heat treated but that's just me. They were annealed because the cutters for the hardened steel didn't exist or were prohibitively expensive. The second and most glaring problem is that most of them just don't function reliably.
    I watched my own rifles built. Tim knows exactly how far he can push a carbide cutter before he fractures it. The receivers maintain their factory heat treating.

Back in the pre-panic days Tim had his time allocated a bit differently than now. Most of the day was devoted to customers guns but part was devoted to r&d. His workshop BM59 was made by copying an original-cut for cut. Minor changes were made after critiques from some of the local experts. His BM59 receivers look like BM59 receivers.
    The M14's were pretty much an adaptation of the original M14 design. Tim designed and has cnc'd the bolt stop. He gets it machined from tool steel but still has to hand tweak it, case harden it, and then parkerize it.
    He also has the advantage of a 150 yd range outside the door of his shop. Makes the r&d part a little easier.
    Whoa, I sound like the CMP folks giving Orest the old reach-around.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 11-07-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

War Room Ready
    IDK, I don't have any. Nor have I ever fired one. I came of age during the flood of warsaw pact arms and the AR flood that followed.

Founding Member
    Punch, yes indeed ''it has that sound". It is pretty thick on the CMP site...I cannot stay away from them either..But you were able to watch as your rifle was re-worked? ? Splendid, I was aware of the heat-treating, as carbide was in short supply back then. Now a CNC machiine can carve anything out of steel, but it cost thousands to set it up and perfect it..I wonder just who cuts "SEI's" recievers out for the m-1a versions they sell, ya know Hammonds favorite gunbuddys??What did amaze me was TIM's choice for his reciever for his BM-59...conversion, as it has a bare topped reciever..on the heel, not springfield arms...So...

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwn0324 View Post
    IDK, I don't have any. Nor have I ever fired one. I came of age during the flood of warsaw pact arms and the AR flood that followed.
    I joined the Ar club, and it would be a splendid back-up weapon, plus that ammo will shoot thru 1/2 inch steel plate at a long range, so it is not exactly a BB gun... I still did not like the Colt SP-1's we were issued back in the 70's... But,,, that ole Bushmaster Xp-15 is a different animal..