Thread: Over index barrel

Over index barrel

Is it possible to fix a barrel that has been abused. A bubba kind of barrel shoulder trim that looks rough and times too far along. I have read about 'rolling' the barrel with a lathe but am not sure of the procedure. How much needs to be 'added', will barrel need shoulder measured and cut again? The barrel in question gauges almost 100% other than the unfine filing of the barrel.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I've fixed a few by lightly peening the shoulder edge all the way around until it times correctly,works like a charm.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Do I peen with a hammer/punch combo or just tap with a peening hammer? ZB.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I always use a tiny little ball peen hammer,guess you could use anything,just go lightly.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I use a Rigid pipe cutter that has the cutter removed and another roller added.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I use a Rigid pipe cutter that has the cutter removed and another roller added.
    Must have also been a Arsenal fix as I have seen them done with this type of fix on some of the Woodless Danes at the North Store years ago
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"