Thread: Lower barrel band question with pics.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I noticed the same thing when I got mine. I was also concerned because when I read in Kuhnhausens book about the mods that are done to accurize the Garands, and from my experience with the M14 types, I have always understood that ideally we want a small amount of draw pressure pulling the barrel down so that it always returns to the same place in relation to the stock from shot to shot, and that the barrel harmonics should be more predictable. But as it was explained to me, due to the fact that the G's barrel is so short (minus 8" from a full size) the harmonics are not as much of a concern. I keep waiting for one of the members here to post a before and after bedding thread . Maybe one of these days, if I find myself with an extra stock to use, I'll try the experiment myself to see if I notice any difference in the accuracy. I think that if your barreled action fits in your stock tightly, and you have good trigger lock up, the difference, if any, will be neglifible. seems to me that the way it is now, the barrel is almost free floated.

Junior Cadet
    Jgun, thank's for your informed post. I was thinking close to the same thing but due to lack of experience with the Mini and tankers I wasn't sure. I know that Tim does quality work and if he didn't worry about the lower band there had to be some reason. As for the previous post Full sized Garand's don't need the pin. I guess that in essence that is true. If you want the best accuracy that you can get, then it is not true unless you have secured the band some other way. I want all of my firearms to shoot the best that they are capable of. That then just leaves me to be the one to screw up the shot. Picky when it comes to my firearms, yes by all means I admit that I am guilty. Prior experience in Law Enforcement and Military has drilled the importance of my weapons into me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgun View Post
    I noticed the same thing when I got mine. I was also concerned because when I read in Kuhnhausens book about the mods that are done to accurize the Garands, and from my experience with the M14 types, I have always understood that ideally we want a small amount of draw pressure pulling the barrel down so that it always returns to the same place in relation to the stock from shot to shot, and that the barrel harmonics should be more predictable. But as it was explained to me, due to the fact that the G's barrel is so short (minus 8" from a full size) the harmonics are not as much of a concern. I keep waiting for one of the members here to post a before and after bedding thread . Maybe one of these days, if I find myself with an extra stock to use, I'll try the experiment myself to see if I notice any difference in the accuracy. I think that if your barreled action fits in your stock tightly, and you have good trigger lock up, the difference, if any, will be neglifible. seems to me that the way it is now, the barrel is almost free floated.
    Jgun is correct. Dampening harmonics is pretty much reserved for long whippy barrels. In the old days leather shims were used at the stock tip. Some manufacturers used adjustment screws to adjust stock pressure. On the Mini-G the lower band is purely cosmetic.

As far as bedding goes. I know that Tim actually "un-beds" the barrel channel for the Mini-G with a miller and a die grinder.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 08-14-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau