PDA

View Full Version : Parts to keep around for my Mini-G

HighAngleHell
08-24-2011, 02:23 AM
What parts should I keep handy for my Mini-G. I was thinking of starting with Springs. Which ones and how many for say 10,000 rounds or 10 years would you guys get?

timshufflin
08-24-2011, 08:16 AM
20 oprod springs, you may need a new tab or piston on the oprod someday so that would be mailed to columbus tool for the tab. Nothing else to wear but you can lose bolt springs on Garands. I've had bolts come apart on me when shooting my Garands. Need ejector and extractor springs.

paid4c4
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Call (517) 896-0523 and say HELP!
Bill

I was just joking however Tim has always helped me when I've called. I carry a kit with several op rod springs, trigger assembly, two bolts and field gauge, lubriplate with small brush, oil can and small tool kit.

I put the lubriplate in a small black plastic container which looks a lot like the grip for a bicycle which has a screw on lid with a stem and small brush on the end. These grease containers come from cleaning kits which come from Eastern Block countries and are sold as surplus at gun shows for usually a buck or so. They usually have some type of black foul smelling grease which is easily cleaned out. I use lubriplate however nice pink grease like Tim uses will work just fine.

HighAngleHell
08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Standard oprod spring?

paid4c4
08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
You'll get all kinds of answers on the op rod springs. I use Orion 7 springs in all my M1 Garands and builds. I'm sure there are other spring which are as good or better. I've been using them from the beginning of my M1 Collecting. Every rifle I buy gets a new Orion 7 op rod spring, I know that's over kill, however ask me how many failures or improper operation because of op rod springs that I've had? You guessed it zero, the op rod spring is central to a lot of moving parts and correct operation. Let the experts chime in.
Bill

Cal30M1
08-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Standard oprod spring?

Not for the G.

I went diggin for the bag the spring to my G came in. (Timmah send it along with the G) No dice. It's in here somewhere.

I think they were O7 springs but I have CRS.

Rush2112
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Been reading that different springs have different tensions, etc.

Can a standard Garand spring be trimmed to the desired length, or is there any Math involved?
How 'bout the Orion springs?

Working with ARs, I have had some springs launch into the black hole, and have dropped several pins.
I have a minimum set of springs and pins.
Haven't gotten to the bolt group and larger parts, yet.....

Eli
08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I *think* (Have Tim confirm) the SMG uses a standard (off the shelf) "Tanker" spring from Wolff here (http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/GARAND/M1-%20TANKER%20MODELS/cID2/mID88/dID112).

Eli

timshufflin
08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
This is the oprod spring for the Mini-G. All Mini-G's take the same spring and no modification to the spring is needed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=197013

By the way, the spring is made by Wolff.

The first Mini-G I ever made used a standard oprod spring, cut down, and it had a giant flaw. The spring had to be trimmed to within a half a coil to work on a Mini-G and the Mini-G follower rod pin had to be in such a sweet spot that it made mass production problematic.

Rush2112
08-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Was working on the trigger assembly, and as Murphy would have it,
I dropped the trigger pin. I found it after an hour of creative expletives
All the while, I thought of this thread......

---- Sidebar -----

Had a fit finagling the trigger pin.
Only Metro-sexual-males ask for directions.
Ran out of #$%^&*, and Googled it. Found an easy assembly vid:
M1 Garand Trigger Group Assembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmXX2k2Oh-k)
(Saturday nights we get Alice) ;)

mike68
01-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Timster----After doing the math, am I too understand that the oprod spring needs replaced after only 500 rounds? If so, is that the same for a full size Garand?

timshufflin
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
A standard Garand is based upon the measurement of the spring. When the spring shrinks to below 19" it's a no go (they start at 20.25"). My 500 round number is a number to check your spring on. If you lose 5/8" of spring length, change it. If you don't, continue shooting.

mike68
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks Tim!