PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on a Mauser stock.

M1orNone
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Messing around with my VZ24 the other day, getting some more grease out of the stock, I noticed a crack in the wood. It runs down from the top of the stock, into the recess that the crossbolt fits. Originally, I thought that the crack was just on the outside of the stock, but it looks like it goes all the way through.

Is there any way I can fix the crack with bedding, and maybe inlet a brass pin into the stock horizontal to the crack, or am I stuck with getting a new stock? I'd hate to have to replace the stock, as the number stamped in the butt matches the receiver.

Thanks.

Prince Humperdink
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Messing around with my VZ24 the other day, getting some more grease out of the stock, I noticed a crack in the wood. It runs down from the top of the stock, into the recess that the crossbolt fits. Originally, I thought that the crack was just on the outside of the stock, but it looks like it goes all the way through.

Is there any way I can fix the crack with bedding, and maybe inlet a brass pin into the stock horizontal to the crack, or am I stuck with getting a new stock? I'd hate to have to replace the stock, as the number stamped in the butt matches the receiver.

Thanks.

I would spread it a bit and force some wood epoxy in,pad,clamp,and possibly pre drill and pin or use solid brass screws.

mixmaster
08-31-2011, 11:00 PM
This may not work for you but, I have drilled all the way through the stock in a couple of places(depends on where the crack is) and I have used hard wood dowels after spreading the crack and injecting an epoxy- rosin type glue into the crack. the dowels and holes are also coated with the ER glue then driven in to hold the the pieces together be sure to clamp till glue sets.
You can line up the grain of the wood and dowels to make it easier to conceal the work. This has worked real good for me when the stock is split or the wrist is broken. You can run a practice round on scrap to see if you can use this method. Hope this helps. BTW you do not have to drill all the way through the wood if you have enough wood to hold the peg.
Mix