View Full Version : Shipping a Rifle USPS

Orlando
09-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I sold a rifle to a resident on my own state ,Ohio. He is legally able to posess a firearm , etc, etc ,etc. Since he is a resident on my state I can ship directly to him without going through a FFL.
I am going to ship USPS Priority Mail and my question is: Do I have to tell the PO that there is a firearm in the box???
I am hearing different opinions but cant find anything on the USPS website. I dont want to tell them if I dont legally "have" to as they might not even know the rules and think I'm not even allowed to ship a firearm and end up being a big hassle

Thanks guys

Big Ben
09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Break it down, and then it's a box of machine parts.

timshufflin
09-11-2011, 09:38 PM
According to my post office, and I've asked them this, no you don't.

Punch The Clown
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I just read this recently. You are allowed to mail firearms, you do not have to tell the PO you are mailing a firearm, and the PO said not to label the box "Firearms". Sorry I didn't bookmark the link.

Punch The Clown
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
This is off Gunbroker's site.

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Orlando
09-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Break it down, and then it's a box of machine parts.

Not really as the reciever is what is considered the firearm so you would have a box of machine parts and a firearm:)

Thanks for the help guys

seaninmich
09-12-2011, 07:05 AM
According to my post office, and I've asked them this, no you don't.

Not according to the USPS. When I had my blow out with that bitch last year and had to file complaints with the USPS, I was told that I DO have to disclose to the post office that it is a firearm as I am required to prove that it is not loaded and there is no ammunition in the box with the firearm.

seaninmich
09-12-2011, 07:06 AM
I just read this recently. You are allowed to mail firearms, you do not have to tell the PO you are mailing a firearm, and the PO said not to label the box "Firearms". Sorry I didn't bookmark the link.

They don't want the box marked, but you have to tell them what it is when you drop it off. Trust me, I went round and round with this for weeks with the USPS

Punch The Clown
09-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Punch Sez: I read the thing last night. It says that federal Law does not require you to disclose what is in the box HOWEVER if it is known to be a firearm the postal folks do have a right to demand the firearm be inspected to insure that it is not loaded sooooooo the bottom line here is not to plaster the box with FRAGILE FIREARMS WARNING DANGER and if the po folk ask you just tell them it's a telescope or something.

Punch The Clown
09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Not really as the reciever is what is considered the firearm so you would have a box of machine parts and a firearm:)

Thanks for the help guys

Hey Orlando, what if you mate an AR upper with a FAL lower. It won't be a firearm.

timshufflin
09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Not according to the USPS. When I had my blow out with that bitch last year and had to file complaints with the USPS, I was told that I DO have to disclose to the post office that it is a firearm as I am required to prove that it is not loaded and there is no ammunition in the box with the firearm.

Hey Sean, they're wrong.

timshufflin
09-12-2011, 07:45 AM
They don't want the box marked, but you have to tell them what it is when you drop it off. Trust me, I went round and round with this for weeks with the USPS

I would like to see the postal rule that says I must tell them what is in the box. I haven't been able to find it yet.

Orlando
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
My fear is that if I dont tell them whats in the box and it comes up missing or damaged and I have to file a Insurance claim and I dont tell them its a firearm they wont pay up. I'm also screwed if I tell them its a firearm and some uneducated clerk freaks out and trys to tell me I cant ship a firearm and I have to go through all the BS to teach her how to do her job.
I to havent been able to find anything in the regs

canes7
09-12-2011, 04:03 PM
If the guy is in Ohio, you might just want to arrange a "meet in the middle FTF" kinda deal.

Punch The Clown
09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
If the guy is in Ohio, you might just want to arrange a "meet in the middle FTF" kinda deal.

If he's from Ohio he might be a gypsy and steal the rifle from Orlando, or in the least put a curse on him.

Orlando
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Na, I would choot em

timshufflin
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Orlando, you're being paranoid bro. I have filed insurance claims with the USPS before only to have them denied because they said you couldn't even ship firearms in the mail. NOTHING was said about telling anyone there was a gun in the box. I than told them that they needed to pay immediately and pointed out their rules saying I could ship a firearm. Payment was sent within 4 business days. If you don't tell someone you're shipping a lamp and it's broken you think you can't file a claim because you didn't tell anyone it was a lamp? PEOPLE, STOP the silliness.

Orlando
09-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Alright Timmy, I'll man up

timshufflin
09-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Alright Timmy, I'll man up

Praise baby Jesus.

Punch The Clown
09-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Praise baby Jesus.

Why do you always Praise Baby Jesus? Why don't you ever Praise Grown-Up Jesus? What are you, , Ricky Bobby?

timshufflin
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Okay, praise grown up hippie Jesus.

seaninmich
09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I would like to see the postal rule that says I must tell them what is in the box. I haven't been able to find it yet.

"...The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e."

In order to have to do this, the mailer would obviously have first had to divulge that it was a firearm

timshufflin
09-12-2011, 09:44 PM
"...The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e."

In order to have to do this, the mailer would obviously have first had to divulge that it was a firearm

Uh, no. That is a giant leap. Show me a rule that says the post office must be told it is a firearm.

REHRIFLE
09-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Doesn't this only apply to pistols and other concealable firearms which would exclude rifles?

IRS link::::
http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

seaninmich
09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Doesn't this only apply to pistols and other concealable firearms which would exclude rifles?

IRS link::::
http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

no sir. 11.3 - rifles and shotguns

seaninmich
09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

So not only do you have to prove it's not loaded, you have to open it up and prove it's not a pistol or short barreled rifle or shotgun

dogboysdad
09-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Why do you always Praise Baby Jesus? Why don't you ever Praise Grown-Up Jesus? What are you, , Ricky Bobby?

I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
-you know the movie

timshufflin
09-13-2011, 08:42 PM
11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

So not only do you have to prove it's not loaded, you have to open it up and prove it's not a pistol or short barreled rifle or shotgun

Sean, what I'm trying to get through your head is that NONE of this stuff matters UNLESS they ask you if it's a gun. The standard question IS "is this anything hazardous, dangerous, or blah blah blah" The answer is NOOOOOOooooooooo!

Unless they ask you if the package is a gun, you don't tell them bro. If they do ask, you say yes, they then can check it out, you then let them and mail the thinbg anyways. NONE of this crap matters.