PDA

View Full Version : CMP M1D's - BOGUS?

sandsnow
09-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I think someone somewhere mentioned that the CMP was suspected as making their own M1D's.

This thread at CMP seems to support this.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=423477#post423477

See post #25. If this is true, then M1D values with a CMP cert just went down the toilet.

A CMP M1D is now no different than someones garage build. How does someone know that his high dollar auction M1D was not just put together in the CMP shop?

musketjon
09-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Of course they are. They're building every thing. How else do you explain all of the HRA's with SA parts, and SA's with HRA parts?
Jon

seaninmich
09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
no no no!! the cmp has turned out to be a false god?? this may bring about the collapse of society as we know it

seaninmich
09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Of course they are. They're building every thing. How else do you explain all of the HRA's with SA parts, and SA's with HRA parts?
Jon

cmp is just a chop shop for guns

Punch The Clown
09-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Is shenanigans declared?

cuppednlocked
09-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Do you really believe with all the other crap the armorers have to do (building other rifles) they would take the time to mill a non-D barrel for the block? Do they even have the machinery to do that? If not, what would it cost to have it sent out vs just putting the receiver into the SG stockpile?

I'm not blindly following the CMP but taking the time to do that for 1 rifle sems like a real waste of time to me.

Obviously it was done somewhere though.

sandsnow
09-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Do you really believe with all the other crap the armorers have to do (building other rifles) they would take the time to mill a non-D barrel for the block? Do they even have the machinery to do that? If not, what would it cost to have it sent out vs just putting the receiver into the SG stockpile?

I'm not blindly following the CMP but taking the time to do that for 1 rifle sems like a real waste of time to me.

Obviously it was done somewhere though.

Good point. Milling the barrel is over the top.

I don't like the willingness to swap out a barrel. Isn't that just what bubba does? Once a barrel swap is done, then it's just worth the sum of the parts.

More than that it's just no longer genuine. The old DCM and now CMP paper was supposed to be the only proof.

I also want to see this other reference source. I emailed custserve asking for it.

Prince Humperdink
09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Even if They are totally manufactured in CMP Armory Guys will argue till Their Dieing day that CMP pedigree makes them legit.Who know's,I'd buy one if I could,but just so I didn't have to use sarco parts,but I don't think They should command any premium or "pedigree",as most were probably just made By Greeks or some other foreign Goverment if not CMP.JM.02C
Ryan

sandsnow
09-17-2011, 11:34 PM
The story on M1D's has always been if it wasn't assembled by a US arsenal or armory or depot than it's just not genuine.

So if CMP is willing to swap a barrel on an M1D and still call it authentic, that is bogus.

At this point it is still just what one poster said the armorer said.

Punch The Clown
09-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Here's a scenario. Buy an M1D, spin off the barrel and spin on a humped one, return the rifle. The CMP puts it back into inventory, sell it to someone else and there you have it. While you're at it swap out all the really nice parts for some shitty ones, including the furniture. Punch

canes7
09-18-2011, 08:31 AM
FYI - When the CMP sold those NOS barrel last year there were some M1D barrels in the mix.

cuppednlocked
09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Here's a scenario. Buy an M1D, spin off the barrel and spin on a humped one, return the rifle. The CMP puts it back into inventory, sell it to someone else and there you have it. While you're at it swap out all the really nice parts for some shitty ones, including the furniture. Punch

That is not something I even thought about.

I didn't think those NIW D barrels were milled for the block. Those would be a perfect example of a CMP buikt D.

sandsnow
09-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Well I was curious as to this mysterious source the OP over at CMP said an armorer told him about.
So I emailed customer service.
I got a nice chuckle but no real information.

My email to them with a quote from the forum:
Could you please provide a reference source (document title, book title) to verify what this customer was told as quoted from the forum?

I did email customer service and they had an armor call
me. He had done some research and explained that according
to reference material they have in their library, my barrel was
indeed used for M1d rifles. He did say however that this may
not be common knowledge and would be happy to replace my
barrel with a 555 barrel. Even though I trust what he said I think
I will take them up on the offer to have it replaced.

Customer service sent it to the armorers:

See email below. Do you have any idea what armorer he is referring to?

Armorer sent me an email:

(OP real name redacted), Has had Cathy to mail you a return label and will swap barrels out. Armory

My response to armorer:

I am not the customer.
I was quoting his post in the CMP forum.
I would like the source of the reference material he referenced.

Thank you

Armorer response to me:

The boss had given (OP real name redacted) this information from some text he has accumulated over the years and they are out there at gun shows for the public. It was not CMP reference material. Armory

END

I hope you could follow that if you were interested. Would it really have been that hard to get the name of the text? If the text are out at the Gun shows then where did the "not common knowledge" comment come from or did the OP get it wrong?

Either way, I'm not pursuing it anymore. I don't have a rifle with the questionable barrel so I really don't care. Just mildly curious.

Punch The Clown
09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
How quickly we forget the film last year showing the inner workings of the CMP. The film that showed the rifles broken down into parts, put into huge parts washers, and then packed up into crates. Remember the hundreds of op rods all boxed up and ready to go on rifles. The faithful died a little watching that film but the CMP assured everyone that those rifles were just a small minority and any rifles sold are in original condition. And all was well again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScoZf8KjVVY

This video was removed from the American Rifleman's site but fortunately it went viral. I saved a copy on my computer.

sandsnow
09-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Wow

I never saw this. What a load of crap.

Civilian Misdirection Program

Punch The Clown
09-22-2011, 05:20 AM
This is no shocker to me. As far as I'm concerned all M1's are mutts, and it's nice to know the CMP cleans and checks them somewhat. The real blow was to The Faithful that believe the DNA of their grandfathers are still on those rifles along with the dirt from Bastogne, Iwo Jima and Chosin. Funny thing is after that film aired their faith was shaken but words of their spiritual leader restored their faith and the memory of that horrible film was erased from their memories. So it is written....

timshufflin
09-22-2011, 09:08 AM
so it is said...

Cal30M1
09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
LOL I have never cared about the D's. I'd own one if it was priced right but a CMP rebuild is not worth the asking price.

I'd rather have a Timmah built D or C any day!

sandsnow
09-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Another non-555 barrel has surfaced in the original thread @ CMP

Rlling Thunder claims to have seen one at the Springfield museum

Drama continues

Could it possibly be that these are rare genuine M1D barrels? If so why wouldn't the all knowing all seeing infallible CMP overloads have caught this and put it up on the auction?

seaninmich
09-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Another non-555 barrel has surfaced in the original thread @ CMP

Rlling Thunder claims to have seen one at the Springfield museum

Drama continues

Could it possibly be that these are rare genuine M1D barrels? If so why wouldn't the all knowing all seeing infallible CMP overloads have caught this and put it up on the auction?

Don't know, but if rolling blunder tells me to go left, you can bet your butt I am going to go right. he's off his rocker.

Punch The Clown
09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
That old Kid Shelleen killed that thread dead. He's almost as clever as Punch.

sandsnow
09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
People don't want to know the truth over there.

sandsnow
10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
So it's official.......http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=439805#post439805

See OP post at #42, my post is #44.

Frickin CMP. Just de-valued all their M1D's.

I doubt I would ever sell mine, but my wife will one day when I'm dead. I'd like to think she would get some nice cash for it to have me incinerated and take the pool boy to Vegas.

timshufflin
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
LMAO, there is not one thing "official" about a CMP rifle except that the parts come from USGI or foreign manufacturers. Ooops, I forgot, reproduction (yes, let the dogs of war howl) stock metal.

canes7
10-11-2011, 09:57 PM
The CMP could give a rats fat ass about provenance or originality. There are 2 things O cares about:

1. Revenue, it is the main mission. Money supports their shooting programs.
2. Inventory reduction. O has publicy stated that he cannot wait until the last Garand is sold and they can close down the sales part of the CMP. I think he is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and is starting to run towards it.

Roadkingtrax
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I hate the repro stock metal. Some even doubt that it is repro...$clapper$

sandsnow
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
To paraphrase two recognized experts - Duff and Canfield - CMP provenance is a sure bet for a genuine M1D.

Not anymore.

Punch The Clown
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Listen, the CMP is fine. I picked up 2 decent rifles from them. My nicest rifles were private sales. People just make too much out of the CMP. They're almost cult like in their devotion, and they won't let the facts get in the way. That American Rifleman show last year showing piles of parts being assembled into rifles shook the faith for a brief moment. O told them everything was alright and they forgot about what they saw. I heard there's a new town called Otown in Guyana.

sandsnow
10-20-2011, 08:48 AM
The mayor of otown has responded

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=446164#post446164

REHRIFLE
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
per Orest: 4) our certificate is not meant to imply that the rifles are original as they came from the factory - only that we sold the rifle, what model it was when sold, and to whom we sold it. We have never stated otherwise. This applies to all the rifles we sell - not just M1Ds.

=====
The receiver is the rifle and many of the rifles they get from the Army are just that, receivers. They are then assembled by the CMP into functional rifles to be sold. This is no secret and has been known for some time.
As to the CMP certificate, many believe that it lends credence to the validity of the rifle when resold as being a “straight from the Army/cmp” weapon with no repro parts etc. But it cannot be used as provenance for the entire rifle, just the receiver.

Roadkingtrax
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
4) our certificate is not meant to imply that the rifles are original as they came from the factory - only that we sold the rifle, what model it was when sold, and to whom we sold it. We have never stated otherwise. This applies to all the rifles we sell - not just M1Ds.

I LOVE IT!!! Finally all the the correct rifle and service grade with mixed parts is correct from the factory can end. $clapper$

Honesty is a beautiful thing.

deputy85
10-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Heres another thread where i stirred the pot a little on the m1d http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=57378

sandsnow
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm still not letting go of this one.

Post 52

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=446652#post446652

sandsnow
10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Heres another thread where i stirred the pot a little on the m1d http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=57378

good job...

Roadkingtrax
10-20-2011, 06:56 PM
good job...

+1 on that.

Should make Orest's statement a sticky for all to see...

Punch The Clown
10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Orest isn't doing anything wrong. The CMP isn't either. They are the best source for M1's no doubt. If people want to make more of the CMP than it is that's OK too. The problem is the zeal with which they do it. Almost cult like. If you are the slightest bit disappointed with a purchase and admit to it the hordes come down and savage you to death.

The Garand Guy
10-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Real M1D barrels have the drawing #D6535448555, & deo not have the cutouts for the rear handguard. If the barrel has these cutouts, it is a hump.