PDA

View Full Version : Here's Your Proof Shufflin!

Punch The Clown
09-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Over the summer Tim parked a FAL kit for me. He has been demanding proof of life that I did assemble it. Well, here are 2 lousy pics but they prove it exists. If it were nice out I'd take some decent shots but for now these will have to do. He also made the muzzle brake for me. Notice the New York castrated magazine! Punch

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/Stumedic/Fal02_640x480.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/Stumedic/Fal01_640x480.jpg

Cal30M1
09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I like it! What do I know though.

axemurderer
09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Very pretty, I always wanted one.

Mike

timshufflin
09-21-2011, 06:18 PM
True to form, great pictures :(

sandsnow
09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
So I see a ten round mag. Just like CA. Do you have to modify the release or is it readily detachable?

In CA, some configurations have to have a non-detachable magazine meaning you have to use a tool to detach the mag.

Nice looking rifle. Shot it yet? They are fun.

Orlando
09-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Man you gotta move out of New York

Eli
09-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I *think* the NYS AWB allows 20 round magazines and such, the 'regular' FAL ought to be legal as long as their is no muzzle device.

Eli

Punch The Clown
09-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I took it to the range last week and of course it has a bunch of problems. Short stroking a lot. I think I got that one figured out as I had a nice gas leak where the gas tube screws into the gas block. There's a learning curve here. Unlike an M1 or M14, when these things short stroke they ram the empty back into the chamber. It takes a steel cleaning rod and a couple of taps with a hammer to clear. Great in a combat situation I would imagine. Shot about 2 feet low. Fortunately the FAL's have about 10 different height front sights made for them so I just got a shorter one. I'm going to try it again in a few days. I will say it looks bad to the bone though.

timshufflin
09-22-2011, 10:01 PM
I will say it looks bad to the bone though.

Would you mind showing me!

LEAD POISON
09-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey ! PUNCHY I don't have one of those, YET.

Schriv
09-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Punch..
Did you make any adjustments to the gas regulator when you were having problems with the short stroking? And, make sure the gas plug is not set in the grenade launching position. That is a common problem for folks that aren't familiar with the FALs tuneable gas system.

timshufflin
09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Punch..
Did you make any adjustments to the gas regulator when you were having problems with the short stroking? And, make sure the gas plug is not set in the grenade launching position. That is a common problem for folks that aren't familiar with the FALs tuneable gas system.

I can assure you that our clown, Punch, did not fall victim to these nefarious beginner problems. He's more of a clown than that.

Oh Mr. Wilson
09-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice rifle Punch! Looks like new.

Here in NY pre-ban mags are legal and they can be used in post ban guns, a lot of folks think they can't. We are not required to have the CA style mag releases. Our Assault weapon ban was put in place while the Clinton ban was still in effect. The law reads that manufactures must date mags. Funny thing is now that the Clinton band sunset magazine manufactures aren't dating mags anymore. So if you have a unmarked mag there is really no way for "them" to tell if they are post or pre-ban, on most of them anyways. I have heard they can identify a few, like some Beretta mags that has a current part number stamped in them. It's driving of few of the Liberal law makers nuts here.

From where I live I can drive down to PA and be back home in two hours. One of the state turds did just that last spring, he went to PA gunshops with a film crew in tow and showed how he could buy hi cap mags just over the boarder. The story lasted about two days in the news and then it was forgotten, no one cares, most the police don't care. There are out of state dealers that will ship us mag kits, they charge a buck apiece to pull them apart before shipping. Your allowed to buy parts to replace the mag body or internals if a pre-ban mag is damaged or breaks. You can own the kits for rebuilds, just don't put the kits together. :o

sandsnow
09-23-2011, 09:23 PM
People are doing the same here with parts kits.

There is an extra added twist here in CA.

CADOJ monitors people at the Reno Gunshow buying Hi-Cap mags and will bust you once you get across.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=475344

Punch The Clown
09-24-2011, 04:38 AM
LP, I can't believe I finally found a firearm that you don't own! Schriv, I got the gas system pretty much figured out. I really had a nice size leak where the gas tube threads into the block. I'm 99% sure the thing will run now.

timshufflin
09-28-2011, 09:01 PM
1. Is there an update on how this thing runs?
2. Do you finally have REAL photos of this INTERNATIONAL treasure?

Punch The Clown
09-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Yes Shufflin, it runs. Now, I have decided that the rifle has a terrible flaw for a battle rifle and the M14 was probably the better choice. If the FAL short strokes for whatever reason you are dead. #1-The rifle's bolt does not have any camming action therefore it relies on brute force to extract a fired cartridge. #2-The ejector is part of the receiver and not the bolt.
What does this mean? If the rifle short strokes it completely extracts the case but does not eject it. Now the bolt slams the fired case back into the chamber with the force of a jackhammer. Unless you can call a "Time-Out" and get out a steel cleaning rod and a hammer to remove the case you are f***ed! Fortunately in our case there is nobody shooting back but the M1/M14 is a better design, in my opinion. As far as looking bad to the bone the FAL gets the big thumbs up.

timshufflin
09-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Whatever, I'll never be a fan of the m14. I don't like that rifle.

Orlando
09-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Whatever, I'll never be a fan of the m14. I don't like that rifle.

How come Timma?

timshufflin
09-29-2011, 06:24 AM
How come Timma?

How many press fit pins can you have in one rifle? If I'm being honest, I don't like stuff that requires a hammer and punch should something need attention.

Orlando
09-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Press fit pins? As I know is basically the same as a Garand?

timshufflin
09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Roll pins baby.

Orlando
09-29-2011, 09:53 PM
You forget the Garand has a roll pin ?:)