PDA

View Full Version : Ear muffs while shooting rifle (Garand) What do you use?

Oh Mr. Wilson
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
OK guys, tell me what you use for ear muffs while shooting rifles, Garand's. If you can post pics or links to what you use that would be great.

I've been a long time Bullseye Pistols shooter, I have five sets of over the head type muffs which work great for pistol. But I find the ear cover on the muffs hits the stock when I wear them shooting rifle. I also have a cheap pair of behind the head band type muffs, these have slimmer and thinner ear cups but even with those they hit the stock of the rifle. What do you guys do to solve this problem?

When shooting Bullseye I always use the foam ear plugs with the muffs over the top, most of my matches are shot indoors so you really need the extra protection during timed and rapid fire when there are 10 to 12 1911 45's blasting away on the range. I ruined my ears long ago, the ringing never stops. No not from shooting but from 25 years of twisting wrenches, the air tools we use are much louder then you think and it took it's toll on me. I want to save what I have, it's already hard to understand all the words someone says in a crowed place, I don't want to loose anymore hearing.

Thanks Guys!

Wilson

timshufflin
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I just use the same ear muffs I've had since I worked in an iron foundry in 1984. They're green, does that help? Oh, they have a fabric strap over the head and plastic band that goes behind the head. I'm switching to plugs though because my shooting glasses allow too much noise in where the glasses go to my ears.

paid4c4
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
I had the same problem when shooting trap, the head strap always banged against the stock. I had a set of ear plugs custom made last year at CMP during the National's in August. The ear plugs totally blocks out the harmful noise levels. I think the cost was 30 dollars and well worth it.
Bill

Cal30M1
04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Be glad this aint the war room!

I use muffs but have wanted to use the noise cancelling plugs.

I have crooked ear canals so plugs are uncomfortable but the muffs are hot, uncomfortable AND get in the way.

Prince Humperdink
04-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I use Old Muffs that My Dad gave Me from His Oil Refinery days....If by chance the Girls have taken them out of My Pickup then I use Empty .45 ACP cases :)

Orlando
04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Low profile shotgun muffs had since the late 1980's .
If shooting big iron I will double up with foam plugs. My hearing is trashed I have to try and protect what I have left. Constant ringing in both ears and its getting worse every year

howie
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I just use regular old ear muffs, plastic Remingtons. They seem to work fine, but I've got a rather large cranium.

Crazy Horse
05-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I use these and they work really well. They are low profile and do not get in my way.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-pl-hp-mt15h67fb-01.html

LEAD POISON
05-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I use Peltor's also.Since I'm already hard of hearing in the left ear.I like the amplified muffs.
Cabella's sells them for like $69.00

musketjon
05-03-2011, 01:45 AM
I use the little orange colored foam ear plugs. They actually have a greater DBR than a lot of muffs and they don't get in the way of my D.I. hat brim either. Hat brims and muffs just don't mix.
Jon

REHRIFLE
05-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I use what ever cheap ear plugs I find. I've tried muffs but for some reason they distract me when swinging a shotgun. It wasn't until I was an adult out of college that I hunted with any body that used hearing protection. Growing up in the 60's down in South Texas, no one seemed to be aware of eye or ear protection. And yes, there is now a constant ringing sound in my ears.

jak
05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I use ordinary ear plugs too. I not only use them for shooting, I use them when I'm using the lawn mower, weed eater, snow blower, etc.

loboft
05-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Got a set of Surefire EarPro plugs coming. My son is on active duty in the Army, and is getting me a set. They are issuing them. They allow "normal" hearing until a round is fired. Note the extended plug hanging on them, which can be pushed in at anytime in order to muffle noise constantly. I'll let you know how good they are when they get here. Using some old Winchester plastic muffs right now. Here is the link for the EarPro's. http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

redheep
05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I've been using the cheap foam plugs at the range since I went to boot camp. On the flightline, we use muffs. I get annual hearing tests because of working on aircraft and my hearing is the same or better 15 years later.

Use what you can afford, but remember that hearing damage starts to occur at a decibel level around 110 or so. Even the cheap foam ear plugs provide enough protection to reduce that noise to an acceptable level.

Now if you're standing next to a harrier taking off, the level can be greater than 160 decibels. Then you need plugs and muffs, but you're still only reducing the noise 40 decibels or so.

REHRIFLE
05-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Got a set of Surefire EarPro plugs coming. My son is on active duty in the Army, and is getting me a set. They are issuing them. They allow "normal" hearing until a round is fired. Note the extended plug hanging on them, which can be pushed in at anytime in order to muffle noise constantly. I'll let you know how good they are when they get here. Using some old Winchester plastic muffs right now. Here is the link for the EarPro's. http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

I would be interested in how comfortable they are in occasional sporting/hunting use. Also, the site says they are good for up to six months. What would cause them to go bad with proper care? reh

timshufflin
05-09-2011, 06:34 PM

I can't wait to hear about these things. Very cool for you to let us in on this. The 6 month thing kind of baffles me.

MH53GUNNER
05-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I use the electronic ones made by Peltor. Think they are the Peltor Tatical. Love that you can hear range commands and other conversations.