PDA

View Full Version : How do you repark a barrel...........

tazaroo
10-02-2011, 07:57 AM
without reparking the inside or chamber? The reason I'm asking is that I recently acquired a 6 digit Garand receiver and found a very nice 4-41 barrel that fits the serial number block of the receiver. I'm planning on restoring the piece and the barrel finish isn't the great but she has a TE-2-MW-2. Do you screw some type of cap and plug the muzzle and gas port when you repark a barrel like this?

Orlando
10-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Yes they are plugged. With what I not exactly sure. Tim is gone for a few days so you may have to wait until he returns for a answer
Welcome to the forum!

tazaroo
10-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks. I was here before with about 80 posts and forgot my login/old email after my old CPU crashed. I'll be patient and wait for Tim..........thanks.

Punch The Clown
10-03-2011, 07:20 AM
tazaroo, I've watched Tim work. When he does a barrel on the M1 he removes it from the receiver. The muzzle and gas port get plugged, and he clamps the barrel at the threads. The barrel is then suspended in a vertical tank so that it is only submerged to the level of the threads in park solution. In this way the breech stays in the white. He re-installs the barrel using timing rods and test fires for function and sighting. On other rifles without bright breeches he plugs the barrels and fills them with water-so there is no expanding gas to push the plugs out while the barrel cooks. Anyway, he goes the extra mile but it shows in his work. Punch

tazaroo
10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I'd hate to get any park on the inside of this sucker, especially the chamber.

timshufflin
10-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I think Stu said it best. I once screwed up and got park in a barrel. I purchased a new barrel for the customer and sold the parked barrel as used on this very forum. Yah, I've screwed up.