PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cylinder Restoration

Punch The Clown
10-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Tony Giacobbe aka "The Garand Guy" has been screwing around with this for the last couple of years and he finally found someone who will do it for a non-NASA price-still pricey though. Anyway, he has a machinist ream out the gas cylinders, then a plater hard chromes them, and then they are reamed again to finish size. Well I've seen them, and examined and gaged them and for all intents and purposes they are new. Even though collectors shouldn't give a rat's ass about specs on a narrow base or a WRA collectible we still do. As far as regular every day gas cylinders go the process is probably close to the price of buying a NOS one but those are becoming scarce. Punch

Orlando
10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Wouldnt it just be easier and cheaper to install a oversized piston on the Op Rod to match the worn cylinder?

Punch The Clown
10-03-2011, 05:25 PM
True Orlando. However, I would still prefer the parts to be in spec. Also, I would be hesitant about soldering a new tip on a collectible op rod.

Prince Humperdink
10-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I have heard of this,and think it would be great for a shooter cylinder that is,say,rare or something.I have had about 20 or so gas cylinders and even the most ugly/worn were still within spec.Is there a pile of them that are worn out?