PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Kalashnikov

Punch The Clown
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I never was interested in foreign milsurp so I really didn't stress the govt.'s ban on imported parts. Now that I have FAL fever it hits me hard. Anyway, I decided to look into this ban. It seems that it was around for a bunch of years but wasn't enforced. From what I've read the reason for the commotion was the AK based guns. The govt doesn't want them so they banned everything-sort of like saturation bombing. Anyway, all you have to do is look up how to build an AK on youtube and you'll see what all the commotion is about. You can put together an AK receiver for around $25 in your garage. I watched one youtube video where the guy says he built thousands of them! So all you need is an imported parts kit, a Tapco or someone elses receiver kit-no ffl required, some basic skills and you have an un-numbered AK. Now, there is no law against building your own firearm-as long as you intend to keep it for your own personal use. It is also legal to sell a home made firearm. Just keep building them for your own use and change your mind around 30x a year. Now I know why everytime you see third worlders overthrowing their govt. they're waving around AK's. They are cheap as shit. I had no idea.

Let me clarify something. I don't support the govt.'s position. If someone is illegally engaged in manufacturing prosecute them. Building thousands of AK's can't be for your personal use. In typical govt. fashion they're going to go after the guy that enjoys putting firearms together from kits for his own pleasure.

redheep
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
My AK is built from a serialized receiver from Ohio Ordnance Works. It is certainly more "under the radar" to build one from your own receiver, but while the flat will cost you little to no money, you either need to be pretty handy or outright buy the jig to bend it. Then there's the issue of heat treating and setting up rails, etc.

The importation law has not slowed down the importation of AK's or any other weapon, it has simply spawned the manufacturer of barrels in the US. Now you get the same "kit" with an american barrel or a company will put it together for you and sell a complete rifle with a US made barrel and receiver.

The commotion has a lot less to do with foreign rifle imports as it does with the image that the AK represents, the terrorist weilding extremist who hates americans.

Cal30M1
10-08-2011, 08:30 AM
It's always good to know how your opponents weapons and equipment work.

Now of course if you're using captured weapons you will get to go rock and roll! :D

Practice on semis work with auto.

LEAD POISON
10-08-2011, 11:02 AM
You can pick up all the parts rather easealy,Everything is available.
Putting a AKM together is Not so easy.
You need to remove the barrel on the kit,or at least the trunniun (not easy).
If and when you get that far.You have to crush the receiver rivets install the barrel install the barrel rivets.this is not an easy task.
You have to temper the receiver at the pin holes.You have to install the interrior rails.remove the rear trunniun from the kit,reinstall in new receiver.
I have attempted this,and ended up sending my kits out to be assembled.There is a easeir screw installation,but it is not reccomended.
MY $.02

Punch The Clown
10-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Josh, they aren't importing FAL kits anymore. The price on them has skyrocketed if you can find them. After speaking to my spiritual adviser I realized that I shouldn't be hating the guys that build receivers from flats, but I should be fighting the law that keeps me from pursuing my interests. I have been misguided in my thinking. Let the people build all the rifles they want. Prosecute those that use them in the commission of a crime. Very simple.

redheep
10-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I agree. I still think it's pretty amazing that you can sit down at a machine and manufacture your own firearm in this country.

I built one because I wanted to be able to say that I built one. Certainly there are cheaper ways to own an AK. I don't know anything about FAL's, but if there are no more parts kits being imported and the demand is still really high, it might just be one of those weapons that there aren't any more of.

I love everything about the american rifles I've bought, but I have to be honest. If the situation dictated, I'd probably grab the AK and the 6 30 rd magazines next to it.

Punch The Clown
10-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Josh, the typical lib/dem is not a well rounded person. Give them a FAL or an AK kit and they would just look at it. In a million years the typical lib would never be able to assemble a rifle from parts. Fix their own car? Hah. Most can't screw in a light bulb. They would throw up their hands in disgust, have a latte, and go see Hairspray or Rent. Then call their congressman to demand a ban on parts kits because they can't figure out how to build them. There was a time in this country when mechanical and technical skills were necessary to survival. If we all refuse to do technical and mechanical things for the libs they would go the way of the dinosaur. Darwin at work.