PDA

View Full Version : The best -G candidate?

redheep
10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
What kinds of things am I looking for in a M1 to send to Tim for the conversion?

Is it just like shopping for a full size? How much of a factor is ME, metal condition, things like that? I'd really like to find something at the NS in a field grade, then resurrect it into a G, but I've read some opinions on here that suggest I shouldn't start with a rifle in rough condition.

I've decided to go whole hog. .308 and a mag-fed conversion :)

dan
10-08-2011, 09:04 PM
If you plan on .308 then you will need a new-manufacture barrel. If you stay with .30-06 then most any barrel with a reasonable throat is fine. When the barrel is cut back you end up with a very tight muzzle that has a perfect crown. Tim's park is beautiful and I would lean toward sending him a sow's ear to make into a silk purse.

redheep
10-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I do think I'm going .308, but if I stay 30-06, it's good to know that I don't have to be too concerned with the ME numbers. If my brother finds something nice on the rack at the store, I don't have to worry about the end of the rifle.

TheHammer
10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
No matter what you send your gonna get a new rifle in return. I would pick up a rackgrade with a decent throat, then sit and enjoy my as new Shufflin gun.

HerkyBird
08-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Wood is important, too. Gotta have a tight fit, STS.

Dump1567
09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
No matter what you send your gonna get a new looking rifle in return. I would pick up a rackgrade with a decent throat, then sit and enjoy my as new Shufflin gun.

No offense, but a refinish on worn parts, should still leave you with worn parts.

I agree a rack grade would be a good candidate. Or an import marked barrel. I have a Blue Sky marked barrel on a Garand that will eventually go in for a Mini mag conversion.

timshufflin
09-03-2012, 05:00 PM
No offense, but a refinish on worn parts, should still leave you with worn parts.

I agree a rack grade would be a good candidate. Or an import marked barrel. I have a Blue Sky marked barrel on a Garand that will eventually go in for a Mini mag conversion.

And what parts are going to be really worn except maybe a barrel or clip latch spring? I have noticed absolutely no difference in wear on the parts between a even the old rack grades and the service grades except for barrels and furniture.

Dump1567
09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
And what parts are going to be really worn except maybe a barrel or clip latch spring? I have noticed absolutely no difference in wear on the parts between a even the old rack grades and the service grades except for barrels and furniture.

Your the expert on this Tim, but I thought things like the gas system, Op Rod tab, follower, triggerguard tab, etc, can wear to out of spec? This may not be an issue on a CMP Rack grade, but the same Blue Sky import I mention above has an op rod the seems a litttle loose in the receiver channel it rides in.

timshufflin
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Your the expert on this Tim, but I thought things like the gas system, Op Rod tab, follower, triggerguard tab, etc, can wear to out of spec? This may not be an issue on a CMP Rack grade, but the same Blue Sky import I mention above has an op rod the seems a litttle loose in the receiver channel it rides in.

Sir, you are correct on the blue sky stuff but I've seen no difference specifically on the rack, field and service grades except for barrels and furniture. I've seen worn oprods and gas systems on any of these rifles.