PDA

View Full Version : Targets from my two Garand's and the Mini-G that could!

Oh Mr. Wilson
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Well I went to the range a couple days ago to sight in and test my two Garand's that Tim built for me. Both six digit SA's made back to as new, one got a new CMP barrel and the other Tim put a NOS SA 1955 barrel on it, both with new wood and trigger jobs. I wanted to find out which one grouped better at 100 yards for this match on Sunday. The Garand with the CMP had a better group, both targets below were fired with HXP ammo.

Today I went back with the one Garand to put the final touches on sighting it in and run some Lake City ammo through it and also the Mini-G which I never really sighted in and benched. The Mini-G was also built on a six digit SA and Tim supplied a used SA barrel he cut & turned down for the conversion, also with new wood and a trigger job. Below are targets from the three rifles, the two Garand targets were fired with the HXP, the Mini-G target was fired with the Lake City.

It was pretty gusty today at the range, the wind blew my targets taped on the backers off the stand and they ended up in the little creek next to the range so I couldn't save them for photos. The Garand grouped about the same today with the Lake City as it did with the HXP. I know a couple groups shown here are not centered, I was shooting for groups only at that point.

Garand with the NOS SA barrel
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/guywil/2rd%20en%20bloc/Shawns.jpg

Garand with the new CMP barrel
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/guywil/2rd%20en%20bloc/Mine.jpg

The Mini-G Yeah I'm Happy!
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/guywil/2rd%20en%20bloc/Mini-G.jpg

howie
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Very nice!

timshufflin
04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Fake fake fake:cool:

Orlando
04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Looks good to me

Oh Mr. Wilson
04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Fake fake fake:cool:

I'm still waiting for that kick back check to come in the mail......

Dave Waits
05-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I'd go two clicks up on the Garand with the new CMP barrel and go with it. Two inches higher and most of that group is 10s and Xs.

Oh Mr. Wilson
05-03-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd go two clicks up on the Garand with the new CMP barrel and go with it. Two inches higher and most of that group is 10s and Xs.

Hey Dave,

Well I went to my first match last Sunday, I took that Garand with the CMP barrel. I had ordered a mat from Midway, had a CMP Forum members who saw one of my posts send me a used Champion Choice glove, no charge. Got everything I needed together and headed off the the match. I got there early so I could watch a couple relays and learn what the other fellows did things. They were setting up for another relay, mine was coming after that one when the match director yelled, "Guy, position one is open from a no show if you want to shoot now." I grabbed my rifle and gear, got my mat laid out for the first time and ready to send some sighter's down range. Well I fired four sighter's and my neck was just killing me. I have problems with vertebra's in my neck, the doctor told me long ago I need to have at least two fused but I have been putting it off. I never dreamed laying prone and tilting my head up would cause me so much pain. I cleared the gun, put my chamber safety flag in place and got up. Walked over and told them "I just can't do it."

I was so bummed, I've been looking forward to this for a month, I really thought this was a new game I would be able to do but I guess not. I'm a long time Bullseye pistol shooter, but these pinched nerves have left me with a permanent shaking in my right hand and I can't hold ten rounds on a target sometimes so I had to give that up a few years ago. I guess I'll have to take up skeet shooting LoL.

I took some video footage while at the match and have it uploaded to my YouTube page, two videos there. Seven minutes into the first one you'll see me prone shooting some sighter's before I gave up. Here's a link --> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=m1ccguywilson

You can watch these in 720p HD, sorry for the shaky video, that's from my right hand.....

jak
05-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your neck and the problem it causes.
That was a perfect day for the shoot.

cuppednlocked
05-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I was wondering how the match went. Sorry prone was so painful. Just had a coworker have some verts fused. Sounds like he's recovering well.

Did you try any other positions?

Oh Mr. Wilson
05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I was wondering how the match went. Sorry prone was so painful. Just had a coworker have some verts fused. Sounds like he's recovering well.

Did you try any other positions?

No, I didn't try any other positions at the match. I didn't want to be a PITA and hold up the match in any way so I just cleared my rifle and took myself out of the match. The guys there were all very friendly and all wiling to give tips and advice, I was asking a lot of questions. I got there early so I could watch a few relays and I stayed for a couple more after I dropped out. That's were the videos came from, just watching, learning and getting some footage.

When I get over my illness and feel up to it, I'll head to my local range in get some practice in. I'll try some other positions and see how things go. I don't know how sitting is going to work with this fake foot, you can olny bend your leg back only so far because of the socket part your stump/leg slides into. This socket comes up around the knee, there are what they call "pressure points" that are tight against your leg. These pressure points are just below the knee, just behind the knee at the back and at both sides of your leg at about the same height. This holds you tight and in the socket so your never have pressure on the very bottom, the end of your stump. If you had a socket that was too loose and the pressure was only on the bottom of your stump, you wouldn't be able to walk very far before it got hurting like hell. So because this socket has to come so far up on your leg and at back of the knee, it limits how far you can bend you leg backwards. Sitting in a chair, I can only bend that leg back to 90 degrees. When your sitting, stop your leg at 90 degrees and you have an idea how much that will limit you getting down on the ground and getting back up! Same thing when trying to sit on the ground, you can't cross your legs. I'll just have to try it and see how sitting goes, my gut tells me I may not be able to do it.

My doctor told me, "after the amputation we'll fit you with a foot and you'll be able to do any thing you want too." Well he was full of crap! It really limits what you can do. Granted if I could afford $20 grand to have different sockets and custom feet made, I could have one for swimming, one for running, one for hiking, one for daily use. With my BC insurance, I have to pay 50% for the sockets and feet, I can't afford that let alone a couple custom made for sports. I am getting a second foot/socket combo made up so I can go hiking and hunting, it will be much easier to get around on uneven ground then this every day foot I have now, which is one of the best, but it's "set up" for daily use, not hiking. The new foot has two hydralic cylinders that I can adjust myself with an allen wrench, I will be able to make it softer or stiffer with a couple slight turns, the one I have now has replacement "bumpers", you can swap them out to make it softer or stiffr but I can't do it at home. You have to have specail tools and an assortment of these bumpers, then completely strip the foot down to change them so I had to find a happy middium and stick with it. It's good for every day walking, but I can't walk up an incline very well. I'm really looking forward to getting the new foot, then I can take an allen wernch with me, give a tweek and head off into the woods!

This is the True Step I now have http://www.college-park.com/trustep.html You can see the replaceable "bumpers" at the front & back

This is the new echolon I'm getting http://www.endolite.com/products/feet/echelon.php You can see one of the adjustment screws on the side