PDA

View Full Version : Check this out! Who needs an enbloc latch?

timshufflin
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Sent from Ole Colonel to my tender loving hands. The Colonel is trying to make me a bolt stop for the M14 conversion and he started with this thing. It was completely made on a printer.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/Garand/IMG_0407.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/Garand/IMG_0406.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/Garand/IMG_0405.jpg

Prince Humperdink
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Is that plastic,metal,or paper????

timshufflin
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Plastic my friend.

VitSports6
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Very cool, Those printers are quite the item!
I have a friend in CO. that has one, He makes all sorts of old Land Cruiser items.

Orlando
10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Explain to a dumb hick exactly what the heck you are doing Timmy. Dont understand, it was made with a printer?

VitSports6
10-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Explain to a dumb hick exactly what the heck you are doing Timmy. Dont understand, it was made with a printer?

Correct!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

Orlando
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Unbelieveable , that is amazing

Prince Humperdink
10-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I wonder how it would work with a super model,or Complete Rifle?

timshufflin
10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Orlando, tell me that it's not the most amazing thing you've ever seen! I dare you man, tell me! I could not believe my eyes when this clip latch arrived. What I'm doing is trying to get a bolt stop manufactured for my M1Garand M14 mod. I have a stop but the last one was stolen by carl maunz of ohio. I made a new one and plan to have it printed in 3D. Then I can send out the plans and the 3D plastic print out without worrying about my master being stolen by sub humans.

Oh, I know it sounds very petty to worry about having a small part like a bolt stop stolen but it takes hours and hours to get something like that right. When you get it perfect, only then are you going to be able to have it manufactured.

timshufflin
10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

Orlando
10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
It is the most amazing thing I've ever seen !!!!

mikebaker1129
10-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Tim you might want to give Greg a shout ,he does have some things made .

timshufflin
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Mike, I gave Greg a shot on this a while back. Pricing was tuff on me :( He just couldn't do it for anything I could afford. Guess what Greg did though when he was done with my part? He sent the thing back!!!!!!!!! That's what I expect from a human being.

deputy85
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Honestly i dont fkn believe it,,, that is not possible

timshufflin
10-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Honestly i dont fkn believe it,,, that is not possible

See now, another person that gets it! Only when you know how tough it is to make this stuff can you appreciate what happened in that video. I personally believe that baby Jesus lays his hands on that machine every time it makes something. I can find no other possible explanation.

Shug
10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Tim,
If you're willing to trust someone else with your part, I might be able to build the 3D CAD model for you. With the CAD model, I can generate an STL file for 3D printing. I have both TurboCAD Pro (best for geometric shapes) and Rhino 3D w/TSplines (best for complex, organic surfaces) that I use for hobby stuff with my small Sherline CNC mill & lathe.

If you want to hold on to the part but have dimensioned drawings, I can build model from those instead. I've uploaded a jpeg of a CAD model I made months back in TurboCAD for a replacement lower rudder pintle for my boat. I've saved a boatload of "boat bucks" modelling and fabricating my own replacement parts for my old piece of floating fiberglass.

BTW, I have the Mini-G I ordered last month, with the obligatory photo below. It sure looks great! Hopefully I'll have a chance to go shooting this weekend. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to designing some accessories for it (anybody have any ideas?) and have them SLS printed directly in metal by some service shop. But I need to convince my wife to give me some time to do all that first...and that's just not happening an time soon, unfortunately. Just begging for range time was tough enough.

Orlando
10-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a stop but the last one was stolen by carl maunz of ohio. I made a new one and plan to have it printed in 3D. Then I can send out the plans and the 3D plastic print out without worrying about my master being stolen by sub humans.

Karl Maunz stole from you??? I see that guy at area gun shows all the time. What a #####

captain_bob_badfish
10-14-2011, 02:28 PM
It's a freaking replicator!!

Shug
10-14-2011, 06:41 PM
It's only a replicator if everything you want to replicate can be made of thermoplastic, light or UV-cure resin, or sintered metal. There are a few systems that even do multiple materials at once in a single object, where you might want a multi-colored plastic object or a a hard plastic object with a molded-in soft gasket. There are even 3D printers that print in cake frosting or chocolate.

What these systems can't do is make electronics, forged metal objects, or anything out of a material that isn't one of the materials listed above or requires material properties that can only be produced by specialized methods such as forging. So, no, you can't print yourself a complete with wood stock, fully functional Garand with one. At least not yet, anyway.

Oh Mr. Wilson
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Well we can't print a gun yet, but it doesn't look like it's that far away. Before it gets to that point I bet the Feds will be looking to re-write the laws so we can no longer fabricate a gun for our own use. Yeah I can see the pro's and con's and don't even want to go down that road, I just think it would be cool to print my own gun.

Wouldn't it be cool to hit the print button, go to lunch and come back to find your new AR lower all done.

http://www.guns.com/how-to-use-a-3d-printer-to-build-an-ar-lower.html

Here's the download to print it now! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11669

Prince Humperdink
10-14-2011, 07:39 PM
It's only a replicator if everything you want to replicate can be made of thermoplastic, light or UV-cure resin, or sintered metal. There are a few systems that even do multiple materials at once in a single object, where you might want a multi-colored plastic object or a a hard plastic object with a molded-in soft gasket. There are even 3D printers that print in cake frosting or chocolate.

What these systems can't do is make electronics, forged metal objects, or anything out of a material that isn't one of the materials listed above or requires material properties that can only be produced by specialized methods such as forging. So, no, you can't print yourself a complete with wood stock, fully functional Garand with one. At least not yet, anyway.

I was thinking You could disasemble a Garand and make it out of plastic,say,perhaps a .22 version?I am sure They will be able to get biologic dust someday and print up a hot,Young Milla Jovovich...Ooooooh Yeah!

Oh Mr. Wilson
10-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I was thinking You could disasemble a Garand and make it out of plastic,say,perhaps a .22 version?I am sure They will be able to get biologic dust someday and print up a hot,Young Milla Jovovich...Ooooooh Yeah!

or two, or three, or.....

Ole Colonel
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Looks like we stirred up a little interest in your Project!!